Author Topic: jerky acceleration  (Read 1237 times)

mrmike123445

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
jerky acceleration
« on: 23:35, Tue 06 January 2009 »
hi guys

i'm having some problems with my r5 and i'm wondering if anyones had a similar problem.

Basically the car started cutting out when coming to a stop.i've had a mess about with the aei and put new leads and a rotor arm on but i think the problem was the relay behing the aei.Because i wiggled the wires and it stopped the engine i sprayed a bit of wd40 in and it hasn't been cutting out since.

Now when i'm driving along and i take my foot off the accelerator and press it again the car jerks badly and it feels a bit numb to drive too?

cheers Mike  :)

r5gtt08

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 09:11, Wed 07 January 2009 »
the relay that you wiggled is the starter moter relay (if i'm not mistaken)

the jerkin could be down to engine mounts (as the rubber inserts just perish overtime).

how quick are leting your foot on/off the accelerator :?:
DONT KNOCK IT TIL YOU TRIED IT!!!!!!!!!

mrmike123445

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 09:39, Wed 07 January 2009 »
If i take my foot off and press the accelerartor hard it does it It did'nt do it before it started doin the cutting out thing.Noticed this mornin it was missing a bit when cold which went away but if i try accelerate it almost cuts out then goes back to normal.

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 12:24, Wed 07 January 2009 »
Either a fueling or more than likely an electrical problem by the sounds of it. Can't remember but maybe changing the relay will solve it, try the perc fan relay in there.

mrmike123445

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 21:24, Wed 07 January 2009 »
Found the problem. Some of the wires near the engine loom plug were split.Me being a bit thick played with them with the battery still on and melted alot of the wires. 8)
Got a new one coming this weekend and its being fitted by someone that knows what there doing unlike me.

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 22:10, Wed 07 January 2009 »
Lol.

smithsgtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 22:15, Wed 07 January 2009 »
as they say dont touch what you have NO ldea about thats why ive go t john for that

:D  :lol:

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 16:26, Thu 08 January 2009 »
I used to get really bad jerking which turned out to be an air leak from the vacumn hose on the carb.

I still get some jumping now, more so in the cold which is really getting on my nerves. Really can't be arsed with it at the moment though.  :cry:

mrmike123445

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: 17:25, Thu 08 January 2009 »
Quote from: "Ash-Lee"
getting on my nerves. Really can't be arsed with it at the moment though.  :cry:

I know how you feel. I've canceled my insurance on mine.Gonna replace everything that need doing with new before i drive it again.

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: 19:00, Thu 08 January 2009 »
I've just changed a cracked liner in mine and now it's pissing oil out everywhere, almost certain it's the sump i reckon i smudged a bit of the sealant off when i refitted it.

It just seems to be one thing after another and thats what gets me down about it especially being a daily driver i need it up and running so it's going to be another cold weekend for me.

But saying that i did have 10'000 trouble free miles before that but it's easy to forget when your in the rain lying on your back with oil dripping all over your face.  :twisted: