Author Topic: Renault 5 GT turbo daily driver?  (Read 2468 times)

bassboy

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
Renault 5 GT turbo daily driver?
« on: 11:35, Wed 17 December 2008 »
hi

I have always loved the renault 5 gt turbo but never actualy brought one due to hearing so manny issues about reliability, i currently drive a mk3 golf vr6 and im  sick of having put fuel in evern 10 miles. i dont like new cars they loose value too quick and are no where near as fun as an oldl car.

is running a renault 5 a crazy idea for a daily driver? are they really as unreliable as people make out? i know a bit about cars minior running issues that may arise i can fix my main worry is major things that would put the car off the road!

in your experiance do your cars brake down alot? i have 2000 to spend what sort of conditon 5 will i get for that!

finaly what are they like to drive do they pin you back in the seat?

Fidos Raider

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 13:20, Wed 17 December 2008 »
I had a standard tungy 5 for a year an a half the only things that went wrong was the alternater and a throtle cable snapping and i drove her every day HARD. That was running 14psi and that put me in the back of my seat.

Im now on my second 5 and thats running 20psi and that puts me in the back of my seat but i drive her once a week if that. I have'nt really had any problems with her either so id say they are reliable. so if you want a daily drive go with a standard one

bassboy

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 14:02, Wed 17 December 2008 »
thats nice to hear! its an old car i dont expect it to be 100% reliable its just iv heard  so many people say theres was offf the road more than it was on. its one of thoose cars iv said iv always wanted to own at some point in my life im now 28 and it still hasnt happond so im thinking i may aswell go for it.

iv read they have cold start isuues is this a case of they will not start full stop or just that they wont start off the key and you have to give a lil gas?

i just want to find as much info as i can before i buy one. for 2k i could get a reliable newish car if i buy a 5 and it starts braking down all the time the misses will kill me!

i found a really nice one on youtube and from the front it sounds really tapperty and like the exhaust is blowing and gerally quite loud! is this how they normaly sound on idle?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mdNLWAztr ... annel_page

frix

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 14:48, Wed 17 December 2008 »
Quote from: "bassboy"
thats nice to hear! its an old car i dont expect it to be 100% reliable its just iv heard  so many people say theres was offf the road more than it was on. its one of thoose cars iv said iv always wanted to own at some point in my life im now 28 and it still hasnt happond so im thinking i may aswell go for it.

iv read they have cold start isuues is this a case of they will not start full stop or just that they wont start off the key and you have to give a lil gas?

i just want to find as much info as i can before i buy one. for 2k i could get a reliable newish car if i buy a 5 and it starts braking down all the time the misses will kill me!

i found a really nice one on youtube and from the front it sounds really tapperty and like the exhaust is blowing and gerally quite loud! is this how they normaly sound on idle?

hi mate,

that link on you tube is my car, reason it sounded so tapperty was engine had just been rebuilt and was running in.

valves and tappets have now been adjusted and sounds a beaut!!

mayb ill post another link tonite!!

as for everyday car i use mine daily without any issues.

bassboy

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 14:51, Wed 17 December 2008 »
Quote from: "frix"

hi mate,

that link on you tube is my car, reason it sounded so tapperty was engine had just been rebuilt and was running in.

valves and tappets have now been adjusted and sounds a beaut!!

mayb ill post another link tonite!!

as for everyday car i use mine daily without any issues.

hehe i did say it was a really nice car tho  :D  post another vid if you can mate would be very intresting to hear the diffrence. really starting to want one now! never see them on the road and they look cool!

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 17:56, Wed 17 December 2008 »
I drive mine everyday.  8) I never worry about it not being able to start in the morning.

markeyturbo

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 22:21, Thu 18 December 2008 »
my bro has just bought one, ph1 electric blue 'D' reg

to date, its been spot on, and it his daily drive, mine was until i had it painted a couple of years ago

they get a bad name from chavs who think that all you need is a bleed valve and your away.. then sell em when the blow head gaskets due to misuse.

bassboy

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 23:43, Thu 18 December 2008 »
ok im going to start looking for one how much should i be looking to pay for a good one? i have 2 grand

frix

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: 12:57, Fri 19 December 2008 »
ok im going to start looking for one how much should i be looking to pay for a good one? i have 2 grand

2 grand should get you a nice clean turbo, just keep ya eyes peeled for rust and overheating.

dont rush, view as many as you can, you'll soon get an idea of a goodun once you see one!!

jimmy_b

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: 10:49, Tue 23 December 2008 »
nothing wrong with a daily driver, and having some fun with it.
my daily driver is a ph1 (1986) with fmic and VNT turbo running 15psi on low  and 20psi on high boost. its good fun, and its been really reliable.... alot more so than my old 250bhp corsa which was always killing engines.

i changed to a 5 cause it was cheaper and more reliable, some people are still shocked when u say that lol.

mine wasnt in great shape with abit of tin worm but i knew the old owner so i know its been looked after. find a good one with plenty of history, or from a known source (some one here) and you should be fine

JK

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: 10:36, Thu 25 December 2008 »
i drive mine quite hard daily and you get all the normall little probs but nothing you cant do yourself, just finding the time. Before i had a little clio 1.4 rt and that wasn't as reliable as my 5 !! go for it matey you can get a nice 5 for 2 g for sure. :)
I got 5 on it..

r5gtt08

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: 15:02, Fri 26 December 2008 »
HI M8 I HAVE RECENTLY JUST TURNED TO DRIVING A 5GT AND FROM EXPERIANCE WITH TRUOBLESOME CARS MY 5 IS THE MOST RELIABLE CAR I HAVE EVA HAD ONLY PROBLEM I HAVE HAD WAS LOWERING THE TORSION BARS(AS THEY WERE SIEZED SOLID 3 TINS OF WD40 LATER THEY CAME OUT) AS PEOPLE SAY ON HERE ITS JUST LITLE CHAVS THINKING A BLEED VALVE WILL MAKE IT HAVE 500BHP AND ITS FAST AS FOOK UNTIL IT GOES POP SO I WOULDNT REALLY LISTEN TO PEOPLE IF THEY HAVENT HAD ONE THEMSELVES AND GOOD LUCK IN GETTING A GUD ONE M8 :D
DONT KNOCK IT TIL YOU TRIED IT!!!!!!!!!