Author Topic: 5leve question for you or any one else clued up  (Read 1248 times)

r5matt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.renault5gtturbo.co.uk
5leve question for you or any one else clued up
« on: 17:50, Wed 03 December 2008 »
TDC ive heard a dicky birdy story stating if you cross over the red wire and white you gain perormance if so what performance *btw this wasnt a chav telling me this but Performance GTI stated it in one of there magazines* is this true ? if so what are the effects ? what is ment by tdc advance? everytime i stare at my baby i see the tdc looking at me and it bugs me sensless to know the truth please help Mate!

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 18:00, Wed 03 December 2008 »
Crossing the wires gives you 6 degrees advance on the ignition timing. (i think it's 6 degrees, it's definatley an advance though).

Could end in tears if your running high boost though, i've left mine alone.

r5matt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.renault5gtturbo.co.uk
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 18:10, Wed 03 December 2008 »
19psi . i know when u say it will end in tears u mean BANG. but what exactly are you doing by advancing the ignition timing how does his even  begin to benifit the 5 turbo ??

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 18:20, Wed 03 December 2008 »
Your advancing the ignition timing, making it spark sooner then it should. I used to advance the timing on my 205s with slight noticable gain but on high boost you could start 'pinking' and thats not good. Holes in pistons being the worst case scenario.

james70

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 18:47, Wed 03 December 2008 »
From questions iv asked read, this is how i think it is....

You can advance timing if running low boost, and will see gains.

But it running more boost then you dont want to advance it, if running BIG boost apparently you should even back off the timing
*** Window tinting service - Mail me ***

---WANTED---
Clear fogs

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 18:54, Wed 03 December 2008 »
If you are doing the wire swap then 19psi may be a bit high, it may det, you need to get a stethescope on it to check thats the only way of telling really.
It gives around 4 degrees of advance, if you adjust it via the TDC sensor itself (so it slides) then you can get up to 6 degrees of retard or advance IIRC.
HTH
Steve

I retarded mine when running 24psi manifold (around 27psi carb top).