Author Topic: Text talk/speak & Forum Rules  (Read 16644 times)

gjb0535

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: 13:56, Sat 22 November 2008 »
The point I was trying to make is that on this and any other forum, the people who post and or view on it come from various backgrounds, do'nt all live in the UK and are different ages.(prioir to mobile phone etc)

The people who are really good at using text speak have learned this in addition to speaking normal English.

The others like my self who are not too familiar with text speak would then have to learn it to communicate with others who use it.

So to keep everbody happy I think it makes sense to resort back to normal english.

Then everboby who uses the forum is singing the same tune and people from other countries who have had to learn english as a second  language are able to use this site without any major problems.

The concern I have is that this is a really good site if you are interested in the R5. if the majority of postings are in text speak then there is a possibility that people unfamiliar with text speak willl no longer use this site and take part in any of the debate.

As a Scotsman if I was to post using my Scottish twang then Im pretty sure people south of the border would have difficulties understanding what I was saying, and vice versa.

Im not out to offend anyone.

"E went fur a drive in my car the oother day and it handled braw. Ken this it wis wheelspining in 2nd gear ya bass and when I went to pur petrol in it ot was barrie cause it only cost 30 suiddllies to make it foo"

Get ma drift neebs

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: 14:01, Sat 22 November 2008 »
It's simple, it bugs me as if you don't use txt talk or whatever (which i don't often, even when texting) it's hard to read/understand whats written, also i feel that it is ruining the english language.
If i write like this you understand it do you not ??
When you use full on txt spk i don't know all the words & abbreviations so find it a mare to work out WTF you are on about  :lol:
Now be a good lad & try not to use it anymore.  :wink:  :lol:

Also i sometimes don't bother to reply to someone that can't be bothered to type properly.

All ryt m8 so u cn jus cary on if u lk bt i won ansa u anmre

If i miss out letters it makes it harder to read yes ?
It's the same for me when you txt type

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: 14:05, Sat 22 November 2008 »
Quote from: "gjb0535"

Im not out to offend anyone.

"E went fur a drive in my car the oother day and it handled braw. Ken this it wis wheelspining in 2nd gear ya bass and when I went to pur petrol in it ot was barrie cause it only cost 30 suiddllies to make it foo"

Get ma drift neebs

Good point made , i have no idea of some of what that means. lol.

dgdogz

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: 17:44, Sat 22 November 2008 »
All ryt mate so you cn jus cary on if you lk bt i won ansa you anmre

If i miss out letters it makes it harder to read yes ?

i actually had no problem reading that.

but
awellllllll...like a said al try my hardest not too.
ill try divert my attention to smoking my pipe while wearing my slippers,an if i get time ill go for a drive in my vintage chariot
a favourite past time for you golden oldies
 :wink:  :lol:

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: 17:47, Sat 22 November 2008 »
You're heading the right way to be put on the naughty step you are my lad  :lol:

dgdogz

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: 18:59, Sat 22 November 2008 »
well im in the queue for my annual flu jab and ill av my new slippers.
so its alllll good.

ill be all set for the step

:)

gjb0535

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: 19:17, Sat 22 November 2008 »
It has nothing to do with age smoking or whatever else you seem to think is the underlying reason.

It is to do with the fact that users of this forum consist of a very diverse group of people.

Whilst we are all different and respect each others views we have a common ground in that we can communicate normally using plain english.

If you want to take part in a forum that specifically uses text speak then why not participate in another forum that will accomodate this. Being a member of an Audi and an Alfa forum I know that they do not accept text speak postings.

Like I said earlier people will switch off, no longer respond to postings that are in text speak and by doing so this forum will ultimately loose a lot of members who have sound knowledge in relation to the R5.

As a way forward may I suggest that we set up another sticky for "text speak postings"

That way the rest of us can continue to exchange advice in a manner that everbody will understand and ensure that this forum does what it was initially designed to do.

It is not my intention to have a go at anyone but Im beginning to think that this discussion has nothing else to offer.

dgdogz

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: 20:25, Sat 22 November 2008 »
good thing im not part of the audi or alfa forums then
theyd take the right hump.
yeah...make a chronic text talker section of the forum so we can split the diverse members from the common and the right from the wrong. basically segregate one part of the diverse community from the other part

a.because there method of communicating isnt to a set level or standard
b.just because its not the way you'd like it?

??

if members willing to leave a friendly and great forum due to the fact they are UNWILLING..not unable to accept other peoples flaws/habits/way of communication then personally i think it would make the site a better place.

should we make another sticky for those in diiferent wage brackets?
 as i cant afford a full rebuild so i shouldnt be allowed to view the conversation.
make a ethnic sticky for those of different race??
??

im not out to have a go...im here to talk rubbish/sense about a car i own and love.
whichever way i write it ...its the same reason your here.
questions to be answered
points to be made
stories to be told
knowledge to be shared

sorry for the long post
jus my opinion and view of the topic and discussion

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: 20:51, Sat 22 November 2008 »
Quote from: "dgdogz"
good thing im not part of the audi or alfa forums then
theyd take the right hump.
yeah...make a chronic text talker section of the forum so we can split the diverse members from the common and the right from the wrong. basically segregate one part of the diverse community from the other part

a.because there method of communicating isnt to a set level or standard
be.just because its not the way you'd like it?

??

if members willing to leave a friendly and great forum due to the fact they are UNWILLING..not unable to accept other peoples flaws/habits/way of communication then personally i think it would make the site a better place.

should we make another sticky for those in diiferent wage brackets?
 as i cant afford a full rebuild so i shouldnt be allowed to view the conversation.
make a ethnic sticky for those of different race??
??

im not out to have a go...im here to talk rubbish/sense about a car i own and love.
whichever way i write it ...its the same reason your here.
questions to be answered
points to be made
stories to be told
knowledge to be shared

sorry for the long post
jus my opinion and view of the topic and discussion

See i could easily read all of that & was it so hard to do??
No one is saying we need a separate sub section for different ways to communicate, come on now, we have members from all over the world & even they write better english than some of the txt talk crap that gets posted, you have proved with your above post that you do it out of pure lazyness & not because you have poor grammar or spelling... need we go on about it ??

Steve

dgdogz

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: 21:10, Sat 22 November 2008 »
steve the first thing i added to this topic was i am guilty and id try not too.

i just didnt get the whole big problem...even now.

but nah we sholdnt go on about it.
theres nothing wrong with debates and opinions...and this is all it is.

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: 21:44, Sat 22 November 2008 »
Exactly.
I think we are still allowed freedom of speech... i think  :shock:

gjb0535

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: 10:01, Sun 23 November 2008 »
I would agree with that.

There's nothing wrong with debate.

r5matt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.renault5gtturbo.co.uk
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: 17:43, Fri 28 November 2008 »
hmm. i believe a forum of this quality offers a friendly enviroment where all sex's age's and personalitys are accepted n we should accept that on occasions words will be abreviated , i do feel that the shortening of every word in one sentence is lazy though.. but wether i cant spell and u can wether i shorten my words and u dont we should all get along and celebrate the fact we own a breed of cars that cause ABSOLUTE havoc for them big time charlies **points at the jap car owners** :lol:  :lol:

pushbike88

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
Re: Text talk/speak & Forum Rules
« Reply #28 on: 09:21, Tue 24 May 2011 »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

rainey_y2k

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
Re: Text talk/speak & Forum Rules
« Reply #29 on: 16:09, Tue 24 May 2011 »
idd ouy onkw ttha as logn sa lal hte lteters form hte wrod rae persnet hte hunam mnid is albe ot undretsand whta ouy rae writngi
 :D