Author Topic: Fifth Gear TV programme need a GT Turbo  (Read 14389 times)

scratcher

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: 17:32, Wed 05 November 2008 »
i love steve's raider  :)
good luck on the day man  8)

smudger

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://smudger.fotopic.net
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: 16:39, Thu 06 November 2008 »
That Raider is mint Steve! Good luck with the filming.

LEE

• Administrator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.renault5gtturbo.com
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: 23:39, Fri 07 November 2008 »
Steve would you let us use a picture of the Raider on the header ??

This one would be great...

Site Administrator

chrisb

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: 23:14, Sat 08 November 2008 »
My Raider has been to Millbrook, unfortunately it had to sit in the car park while me and my old boss tested a load of vauxhall company cars for evaluation.
There was a great banked circuit, hillclimb, and suspension test area back in the 90's, will be interesting to see what it is like now.

gaz

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: 15:54, Sun 09 November 2008 »
dous anyone no what date it will be shown on tv? time & channel?

chrisb

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: 19:02, Sun 09 November 2008 »
5th gear, normally on channel 5, thats the 5 button on the tv remote!

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: 23:46, Sun 09 November 2008 »
Quote from: "chrisb"
5th gear, normally on channel 5, thats the 5 button on the tv remote!

And i'll give you 5 out of 5 for sarcasm.  :lol:

gaz

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: 00:45, Mon 10 November 2008 »
Or channel 105 if youve got sky!!! :lol:

chrisb

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: 18:13, Mon 10 November 2008 »
Sorry people, the sarcasm is a personality trait, anyone know the transmission date?

Billiam

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: 18:23, Mon 10 November 2008 »
Now i'm not sure how TV programmes work, but surely the "air" date isn't announced (or even decided) before a feature is made  :?
Been around these cars for too damn long!

R4223R

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: 19:58, Mon 10 November 2008 »
Anyone know if this 5 got chosen?.

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: 10:11, Wed 12 November 2008 »
Update in case Steve doesn't pop on....

Okay I get the message, sorry for keeping you all in suspense.

First things first, let me make it perfectly clear; there is nothing glamorous about being on a TV Shoot! I've not been so wet & bleeding cold since double PE at school!!!  

Arrived at Millbrook proving ground at 8:00am as requested & had to sign in at the gatehouse & turn in the Camera I had took with me - So sorry lads no behind the scenes footage for You-tube

After I was led into the Millbrook complex I finally got to the area where the crew & the cars were & got out & introduced myself. There were 5 camera crew & then two minders who worked for Millbrook whose job was to make sure we didn't go anywhere or do anything we shouldn't!

They were in the process of rigging up the Twingo Renault had supplied. Of course Renault had supplied a Cup version of the Twingo in Silver with the graphite 17 inch wheels & by the looks of its front tyres it had been thrashed round a circuit once or twice in it's short life thus far!!

Soon enough Jason Plato turned up in his Black 08 Reg Mercedes CL63 AMG which looked absolutely amazing & then proceeded to sit in it with the engine running staying dry whilst the rest of us stood outside getting wet.

First up were a few laps of the Handling Circuit of Millbrook to get to know the Twingo so Jason went out on his own to get a feel for the car. When he came in he got out & commented how it wasn't as gay as he thought it was going to be!!

He then got back into the car with the director in the back & they went out on the timing lap. The timing device used was very accurate & capable of picking up the slightest differences in the two cars.... It was either a Casio or a Sekonda watch!!  

Whilst they were going round the track doing the timed circuits the rest of the crew were doing static shots of the car driving past in the pi$$ing rain!!!

All the time this was going on I was just left there to talk to the Millbrook Minders & take in the atmosphere of the place. Millbrook is an amazing place!!! For those of you whoíve never heard of the place before itís the same place that Top Gear used to drive those three trucks around last weekend.

Whilst I stood there test drivers were piloting all these next generation cars around the place covered in all sorts of camouflage from zebra stripes to half a ND tent off the front & back going from one point of the facility to another. I could see a short stretch of the Top Speed Bowl & there were a few tasty pieces of kit running round there at top whack such as the new Lotus Evora (which I was told does about 168mph round the bowl). I also saw a load of the new Vauxhall Insigniaís which were still undergoing final testing.

Anyway soon enough Jason had finished the timed laps in the Twingo & then it was time for him to drive my car. At this point he acknowledged me as the owner & shook my hand & said hello before saying he would be careful with her & then driving off onto the circuit.  

It sounded & looked absolutely wonderful as it went round & round the circuit with the exhaust shouting out the GTT Growl as best it could!! Again they just videoed it going round at this point before he came in & picked up the director to do the timed laps.

When the came back Jason got out & said that driving my car was more fun than driving the Twingo as itís so much more Raw & you had to predict what the car was going to do rather than just let it do itís thing like you would in the Twingo. I imagine thatís the effect of ESP & the progresses made in handling in 17 years!!! He said it definatly felt more 'grunty' than the Twingo.

After that they rigged my car with the internal cameras & Jason went out for his talkie bits to camera.

When he came in they moved onto a 57 reg Blue BMW 123d series & 08 Reg White Audi TTD which they were doing the same comparison with head to head on the track for another show. It turned out that they had bought the BMW as they could not get one from BMW themselves & that was going to be the giveaway on that weeks show.

Eventually the finished all the timing & we then moved around the track to other filming positions to get action of all four carís driving round so Jason was just jumping from one car to another & doing a quick lap to show off to camera.

By 4:00pm it was getting dark & they had finished all the filming so I was let go & could go home to try & warm up again!! Thank god I only had a 30 minute drive home!!

I asked the guys when the feature will be on TV & they said that they didnít know but the new series starts on the 5th Jan 2008 so Iím just going to have to watch the TV Listings like the rest of you..

LEE

• Administrator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.renault5gtturbo.com
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: 18:23, Wed 12 November 2008 »
Cant wait to see it though !! Bet it was interesting seeing how they do things and that its not all glamourous as said like it looks when you watch the finished programme !!!
Site Administrator

danielmk323

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: 18:38, Wed 12 November 2008 »
Quote from: "5teve L"
Update in case Steve doesn't pop on....

Okay I get the message, sorry for keeping you all in suspense.

First things first, let me make it perfectly clear; there is nothing glamorous about being on a TV Shoot! I've not been so wet & bleeding cold since double PE at school!!!  

Arrived at Millbrook proving ground at 8:00am as requested & had to sign in at the gatehouse & turn in the Camera I had took with me - So sorry lads no behind the scenes footage for You-tube

After I was led into the Millbrook complex I finally got to the area where the crew & the cars were & got out & introduced myself. There were 5 camera crew & then two minders who worked for Millbrook whose job was to make sure we didn't go anywhere or do anything we shouldn't!

They were in the process of rigging up the Twingo Renault had supplied. Of course Renault had supplied a Cup version of the Twingo in Silver with the graphite 17 inch wheels & by the looks of its front tyres it had been thrashed round a circuit once or twice in it's short life thus far!!

Soon enough Jason Plato turned up in his Black 08 Reg Mercedes CL63 AMG which looked absolutely amazing & then proceeded to sit in it with the engine running staying dry whilst the rest of us stood outside getting wet.

First up were a few laps of the Handling Circuit of Millbrook to get to know the Twingo so Jason went out on his own to get a feel for the car. When he came in he got out & commented how it wasn't as gay as he thought it was going to be!!

He then got back into the car with the director in the back & they went out on the timing lap. The timing device used was very accurate & capable of picking up the slightest differences in the two cars.... It was either a Casio or a Sekonda watch!!  

Whilst they were going round the track doing the timed circuits the rest of the crew were doing static shots of the car driving past in the pi$$ing rain!!!

All the time this was going on I was just left there to talk to the Millbrook Minders & take in the atmosphere of the place. Millbrook is an amazing place!!! For those of you whoíve never heard of the place before itís the same place that Top Gear used to drive those three trucks around last weekend.

Whilst I stood there test drivers were piloting all these next generation cars around the place covered in all sorts of camouflage from zebra stripes to half a ND tent off the front & back going from one point of the facility to another. I could see a short stretch of the Top Speed Bowl & there were a few tasty pieces of kit running round there at top whack such as the new Lotus Evora (which I was told does about 168mph round the bowl). I also saw a load of the new Vauxhall Insigniaís which were still undergoing final testing.

Anyway soon enough Jason had finished the timed laps in the Twingo & then it was time for him to drive my car. At this point he acknowledged me as the owner & shook my hand & said hello before saying he would be careful with her & then driving off onto the circuit.  

It sounded & looked absolutely wonderful as it went round & round the circuit with the exhaust shouting out the GTT Growl as best it could!! Again they just videoed it going round at this point before he came in & picked up the director to do the timed laps.

When the came back Jason got out & said that driving my car was more fun than driving the Twingo as itís so much more Raw & you had to predict what the car was going to do rather than just let it do itís thing like you would in the Twingo. I imagine thatís the effect of ESP & the progresses made in handling in 17 years!!! He said it definatly felt more 'grunty' than the Twingo.

After that they rigged my car with the internal cameras & Jason went out for his talkie bits to camera.

When he came in they moved onto a 57 reg Blue BMW 123d series & 08 Reg White Audi TTD which they were doing the same comparison with head to head on the track for another show. It turned out that they had bought the BMW as they could not get one from BMW themselves & that was going to be the giveaway on that weeks show.

Eventually the finished all the timing & we then moved around the track to other filming positions to get action of all four carís driving round so Jason was just jumping from one car to another & doing a quick lap to show off to camera.

By 4:00pm it was getting dark & they had finished all the filming so I was let go & could go home to try & warm up again!! Thank god I only had a 30 minute drive home!!

I asked the guys when the feature will be on TV & they said that they didnít know but the new series starts on the 5th Jan 2008 so Iím just going to have to watch the TV Listings like the rest of you..
i think is 5th Jan 2009 not 08   :wink:

Big Steve Raider

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
    • http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn259/BigSteveT/Raider/
(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: 18:44, Wed 12 November 2008 »
Yeah sorry about that omission, the new series does start on the 5th January 2009.

Thanks for pasting my link on here Steve L, I want to keep you all updated.

Looking forward to the airing of the show! :D