Author Topic: how much to fit a clutch?  (Read 2151 times)

jox

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
how much to fit a clutch?
« on: 21:32, Sat 01 November 2008 »
i read its an engine out job how much would it cost at a garage if i suplyed the clutch>

James5

• Test
  • Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: how much to fit a clutch?
« Reply #1 on: 21:46, Sat 01 November 2008 »
Quote from: "jox"
i read its an engine out job how much would it cost at a garage if i suplyed the clutch>

Prob looking @ 400.00 ish pounds

jox

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 01:41, Sun 02 November 2008 »
woah i paid 70 to get one put in my rs turbo lol isit possible to do it with the engine in the car?? i dont have an engine crain if i did id give it ago.

the last time i did a clutch was about 4 years ago at collage with the help of the tutor cant rember it much.

isit just a case of unbolting the box and clutch and rebolt back of or do you need to use some kind of alighment tool?

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 04:59, Sun 02 November 2008 »
You have to remove the engine I'm afraid. I left the box in, theres a guide in the DIY section on removing just the engine.

chrisb

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 21:30, Sun 02 November 2008 »
K-tec fitted a group n clutch for me a while ago, 404 inc a l/b flywheel and labour (4.1 hrs), a bit tricky in 1st off the line compared to a standard clutch but you get used to it (biting point).
If you use them make sure you inspect your car in the areas that they are going to work in (ie. under the bonnet and under the engine/ gearbox) before you give it to them, and after.
 I had a lot of defects with my car after they worked on it, being an old car they can deny lots of mistakes saying somebody else must have done it etc, i have had my 5 for 18 years and only me and the mot station work on it but they still try to deny stuff.

jox

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 00:11, Mon 03 November 2008 »
Quote from: "chrisb"
K-tec fitted a group n clutch for me a while ago, 404 inc a l/b flywheel and labour (4.1 hrs), a bit tricky in 1st off the line compared to a standard clutch but you get used to it (biting point).
If you use them make sure you inspect your car in the areas that they are going to work in (ie. under the bonnet and under the engine/ gearbox) before you give it to them, and after.
 I had a lot of defects with my car after they worked on it, being an old car they can deny lots of mistakes saying somebody else must have done it etc, i have had my 5 for 18 years and only me and the mot station work on it but they still try to deny stuff.

is that supply and fit?

smithsgtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 09:24, Mon 03 November 2008 »
john usally takes both out then does it on a bench and bulid them back up together as some times trying to get the clutch lined up with the spines on the box is a night mare. last clutch he did he charged just short of 500 and that was him supplying everything but he wasnt told that some numpty had allready tried doing the cluch and rounded very allen key bolt so that was also why it was that little bit more

kraig

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 20:10, Mon 03 November 2008 »
To be honest, if your handy with the spanners. and you have a bit of time. you would be cheaper buying a crane and cracking on with it yourself. I would estimate roughly 5 hours to undo everything, lift the engine/box, split, refit, drop it back in, and connect everythin back up again. :wink: