Author Topic: Honest answers required  (Read 2388 times)

Stealthgrow

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
Honest answers required
« on: 02:01, Tue 14 October 2008 »
how reliable are r 5 turbos? iv always wanted one havent seen one on the road in years literaly untill a few days ago one blew past me looked a sounded facking gawjus.

now i know they got alot of bad press for unreliabilty but how true isit? this will be my daily car is that a silly idea?

do the feel quick in standard form? i mean throw the pasenger back in the seat quick?

finaly what can i get condition wise for 1500

thanks

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 04:49, Tue 14 October 2008 »
1500 should get you an average R5 with T+T.

Reliability? Hmmm...these cars are 15-20+ years old now, and due to the nature of them most have been ragged around senseless, but with proper maintainance there not to bad but you really do have to keep on top of them. I use mine as a daily driver, used normally in the week but it gets a bit of stick at the weekend.  8)

If your competant with the spanners then the engine is simple to work on, but if your not then your going to be spending a fortune in garage bills.

There quite fast in standard form, low 7 seconds 0-60. Standard T2 turbo is lively aswell coming in at ~2'500RPM.

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 07:40, Tue 14 October 2008 »
If you have little knowledge with the spanners then the GT Turbo just isn't for you i'm afraid... As stated above it will/could end up costing you more than the car if something major (but easily fixed by a competent mechanic) went wrong...

Steve

dgdogz

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 14:32, Tue 14 October 2008 »
well ill be totally honest with you.

when i baught mine i got it for the same reason...not many around and sounds lovely.
it had been ragged around a bit.
so..
new turbo... new intercooler..head gasket..thermostat.radiator.neew hoses..water pump..head bolts...ht leads..dizzy cap and arm..spark plugs...oil..new carb,

all nearly in the first month..
not coz they wer broken but like ash-lee said ..it had no doubt had the arse kikd out of it.

cost me a fortune as im not handy with ye olde spanners.
but im learnin here and ther and all th guys on here are a good help.

thers more gettin done to the car now and will keep getn more done evry time i get spare cash to do somethin else.

and yeah i use mine as my to and from work car with no problems
keep on top of it..the way i look at it is.
if i know whats in it then i know  what wont be cozin me problems

1500 is a ok figure...ul be spendin a few hundred on top id say to get it too a more comfortable level.
but yeh ther quik..passenger in seat dependin on the turbo and boost settings i spose

get one!!!

dont hesitate...ther so rare now ther geting harder to come by

d

:)

Stealthgrow

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 14:51, Tue 14 October 2008 »
thanks for the replies im pretty hand with a spanner did mechanics for 2 years at collage but only ever really worked on my own cars fiesta xr2s i can do brakes suspension exsausts no problem iv also done a couple of head gaskets on the cvh but not for a long time. keeping on top of things wont be a problem im just not confident doing a headgasket on a car i dont know about.

ok  so if the car has had new turbo/headgasket serviced etc in gernally good nick and is looked after isit reliable then? i understand if you just buy a bit of a shiteer you cant expect it to be reliable but i mean in genral when they are in good nick looked after mildly tuneed are they reliable ?

dgdogz

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 19:09, Tue 14 October 2008 »
id say so
if ur gona  ripin the guts out of it then ul start to have problems
since iv had mine ive had nothin go wrong(touch wood)
i drive mines nice and careful tho
hahaha

james70

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 23:45, Tue 14 October 2008 »
if your not handy with the spanners or dont intend learning as you go then dont get 1.

If i would have took mine to the garage for everything iv done to it it would be costing me mega bucks.

From my experience its had quiete a few little problems like loose connections, 1minute the fuelpump was working the next loose connection and nothing, same with speedo, rev counter lol
*** Window tinting service - Mail me ***

---WANTED---
Clear fogs

james70

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 23:45, Tue 14 October 2008 »
but saying that, i love it.

if you do get 1 yourl soon become a semi skilled mechanic, they are worth it mate
*** Window tinting service - Mail me ***

---WANTED---
Clear fogs

Stealthgrow

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: 00:09, Wed 15 October 2008 »
whats the best way to tune is safely? nothing major about 150-160bhp?

JK

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: 08:50, Wed 15 October 2008 »
Intercooler needs to be strapped or replaced for more power, boost needs to be upped and carb jets changed or bored out to gain correct fueling. Timing needs to be advanced, uprated head gasket n bolts. Im sure the standard t2 can take u to around 150 but for reliability you'd wanna new turbo that can run and sustain higher boost. think thats pretty  much it 8)
I got 5 on it..

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: 09:22, Wed 15 October 2008 »
Unless you have det cans leave the ign alone ;)
I'm sure there is a spec list somewhere on this forum  :roll:
http://www.renault5gtturbo.com/forum/vi ... php?t=3478
Steve

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: 19:01, Wed 15 October 2008 »
Agreed, advancing the timing is just going to end in tears.