Author Topic: vnt!  (Read 2046 times)

lexgtturbo

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
vnt!
« on: 22:13, Wed 24 September 2008 »
I figured since weve occupied the turbo fooked thread so much, that we could have a pure vnt tread.

Anyway on the setup im running, not that i know whats done to the internals of the engine, I have run 1,5bar for a period of 3 months earlier, no pinking. Im running a safe 1,2bar atm on a standard T3.
And i was wondering if anyone could tell me what might have been done to the engine so i know what parts i most likely have to change before fitting a vnt.

I know its not an easy question to answer but still, I dont think the original engine should be able to cope with 1,5bar. So my guess is that something must have been done to it.

Oh and yeah this thread is supposed to contain talk about VNT`s, its just that I want to know how my 5 would cope with one.

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 22:16, Wed 24 September 2008 »
Sorry to say, the standard engine will take 1.5 bar, i know some peolpe that have run more..... as long as the carb is jetted for the boost then the pistons & liners will be fine.
I ran 1.7 bar on standard liners...

lexgtturbo

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 22:32, Wed 24 September 2008 »
1,7 is pretty extreme. Hmm well it looks like ill be saving for a while then. I take it that it ups the bhp and torque radically at lower rpm, that must be killer in drag races and of course autoslalom.

Ive seen a few vids on youtube today about the vnt, and i must say its far beyond impressing.

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 09:26, Thu 25 September 2008 »
If you want a VNT you need the right one, don't be fooled into thinking any old VNT will be ok, also as James said, you will need a special elbow making up, an oil feed & they aren't water cooled either so more regular oil changes will be needed or an oil cooler. You will need steel liners & a cam to get the best out of the turbo also.

James5

• Test
  • Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 13:35, Thu 25 September 2008 »
Have to agree with what Steve says :D

lexgtturbo

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 14:27, Thu 25 September 2008 »
Hmmm I have a brand new oil cooler colleting dust in the garage, tho I guess its going to be quite expensive.

However I cant say I look forward to taking the engine out and rebuild it, as it looks like a hell of a job. And of course the possibility that the engine wont start when its put back in. :?

What vnt do you suggest i should use? If I get all the upgrades youve suggested that is.

Is it hard to make the special elbow?

I have tons of questions  :lol:

scratcher

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 16:53, Thu 25 September 2008 »
can i ask, how does the VNT actually work? does the compressor spin constantly without a wastegate, and then the actuator triggers the bit with the moving fins and then it blows the air through?

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile

scratcher

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile