Author Topic: rust ???  (Read 3285 times)

gt5_gyal

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
rust ???
« on: 16:57, Sun 14 September 2008 »
hey there ...

i am lookin into buying an r5 phase 2 but obviously need a little advice .. my other half on here is ollie91 ( who has actually got me into them !!:) )

well anyways ... the prob is .. it has quite a few little patches of rust here and there. its cheap enough to buy as ollie will also help me out obviously .. as in he is willing to pay for parts etc bless him and he will go halves on buying my 5 too. as he is willing to take it on aswell as his own, for me :)

i know its an old car and rust prob isnt such a mad worry .. but what do u guys think ??
but also ... what else do i have to look out for mainly when buying the car as ollie does know but just want to hear 2nd opinion. we are going down to hear it run very soon aswell so plz let me know people :) id really appreciate it!!

plus, the bloke only got the 5 to take the dials out of it to go into his and has just been sat on his drive .. hence the cheap sale .. and he hasnt really driven it at all .. but has replaced the dials in mine with his old ones.

also offering a spare coil overs, all the kit needed to lower the beast and couple of other spares

so ... ????
i FEEL THE NEED... THE NEED 4 SPEED!!

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 17:10, Sun 14 September 2008 »
Beware cheap cars .....

Check underneath for bad rust along the sills (unless you get the kit off you won't see alot...), also floor pans can go check around the front suspension turrets & the inner wings, also check the rear arches inside the car along where they join the floor.
Check engine over for smoke etc.

Is the rust is just on the doors (bottom) or rear tailgate (again along the bottom), front screen or rear windows, these are the usual places they go on the exterior...

gt5_gyal

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 17:16, Sun 14 September 2008 »
right ok thnx.

well yer the rust is where you said the main bits i remember is around the windows at the bottom like.
but i dnt know if ollies mate will be able to blow it in or whether it needs the full works n full respray.
it has few dings n scratches on it too ..

its going for like 400

ollie going to check the engine over for me as i dont understand.. and also take it out for spin to see how she runs. And he is going to take the kit off of it there before it gets driven bk home as we aint having that .. its a full on chav kit. plus has completely had it as it will jus fall off lol. he has the decent standard kit , bumpers arches n skirts for us !

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 18:52, Sun 14 September 2008 »
At least you'll be able to see the sills if you take the skirts off..... 400 is cheap enough as long as it doesn't take a sh1t load to get road worthy.

Check for rust near suspension, seat belt mounting points, sills, then check steering rack gaitors, c/v boots, wheel bearings...these will all cost a bit to get done...

If the rust is bad round the screen that will cost a bit to right as well, as will the rear windws..

Food for thought, a bargain may not end up a bargain....

Steve

r5matt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.renault5gtturbo.co.uk
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 00:54, Mon 15 September 2008 »
check for filler around the front window use a magnet dont laff .....lol metal is magnetic filler isnt dodgy repair jobs often haunt u as i found out .. else what i have found is to check the brakes !! master cylinder and servo have a tendency to die do a servo test !! check for rust around the engine bay slam panel etc etc try and move the steerng wheel up and down if it dont move cushty if it moves up n down by more than an inch be carefull this may sound stupid to u but look at the owners ones who have had lots of owners dont go near they often turn out to be jangers!! sorry my infos probs useless but hey lol

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 01:59, Mon 15 September 2008 »
To true, mine had about 17 previous owners, it barely made it back to my house ~10 mile journey. It had/still has a solid shell but nearly everything else was shot.

Running sweet 1 year down the line and it even passed its MOT first time with no advisorys.  8)

gt5_gyal

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 18:28, Mon 15 September 2008 »
yerrr but u lot have all proberley got the moneyyyy to do it all !!

im limited lol :)

r5matt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 00:28, Wed 17 September 2008 »
2800 gets u mine lol  :lol: its not about money all the time my friends mate has just picked up a mint standerd fiesta rs turbo 50 k on the clock limited edition k plate in silver mint its so original he paid 2k its worth easy 4k its about finding the right one i always try to by standerd engine ones and work on them from scrath u no whats bin done . who did it . why it was done !! better still find a blown 5 turbo witch is clean rip the lump out and get a new lump n wiring loom etc etc new engines = 1300 ruffly me tinks . CHECK THE OUTTER SEELS aswell please please !! for ur own sake

r5matt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: 00:31, Wed 17 September 2008 »
one last fing mate DONT rush to get this car on the road !! take ur time do it right and u will end up with a lovely ripppppin r 5 turbz!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

gt5_gyal

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: 11:59, Wed 17 September 2008 »
yerr cool ... well this is a standard 1.4 gt turbo phase 2 so not alot should of been tampered with that we wont or dont know about ..

yerr thats the main thing we want to take our time doing it up as i always go for looks and the other half (ollie91) likes to do the engine bits n bobs lol under the bonnet.. well he will have no choice hehe because i wont be able to do the bloody thing up when it comes to undeer the bonnet haha  :lol:

the only thing that seems to be wrong with it is the rust on the outer shell of the car .. so hoping that there isnt much else i need to worry about  but as u can see ive had many comments back and to me it sounds quite bad  :?  so i honestly am really confused as i dont want a shitter.. the only thing i have seen wrong so far is as i say the rust below like the rear windows n that.. also on both front doors there are quite a few scratches which have obviously gone dwn through to the paint .. but we, well ollie knows someone who is in that as a job and has been doing the bodywork for quite a while now and is like shit hot with it.. so going to have that all done on side hopefully . just hope it isnt going to be too much hasstle really.

dgdogz

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: 12:05, Wed 17 September 2008 »
all i can say is go with what you feel is ryt.
even if its needs work...you can do it over time
if your after somethin to run about in quick style then ul hav to look harder.
if u want a project which wil leave u smiling at the end of it then u kno what to do.
buy something thats half way decent all round.
body=ok
engine=ok

after that its jus time effort and a lil bit of cash to make sumthin the way u truly want it.
a think we all had or got rust issues at some point.
even me now.i need a shitload done and its the same as everybody else...sills and arches.
hope this puts u at ease a lil bit or even helps in the slightest

:)

gt5_gyal

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: 12:21, Wed 17 September 2008 »
thanks for the reply ... yerr of corse as they are old cars .. also few lil dings and scratches too ... but hopefully all can be sorted by sprayer.

so im only an apprentice in hairdressing at the moment .. almost qualified early though .. as u can guesss money isnt my best friend at the mo :)  
but the car seems ok as the kiddys mate is a mechanic n says he got it running fine nout wrong there with the engine .. so hopefully i have got myself a gooden there  :?

as its standard too so we know it hasnt been messed with to cause other major or minor faults within the car.

smudger

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://smudger.fotopic.net
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: 12:49, Thu 18 September 2008 »
The tip about the magnet is a good one IMO.

I am also currently looking for 5 but am taking my time and making lots of enquiries as there ain't many good ones coming up.

If I were you I would take my time and go and see a few before making a decision. Any car that's 20 odd years old is going to be prone to a bit of rust. Thats not an issue its when its not treated that it is.

Good luck.

gt5_gyal

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: 20:27, Thu 18 September 2008 »
yerr thnanks for that !!

but i think thats all that is actually wrong with it

bazr5gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: 22:54, Thu 18 September 2008 »
hi just check out my post in "your cars"and youll see exactly where the 5 rots i spent 7 weeks welding mine back together as the guys say dont rush in just have a good poke about check every nook and crannie!!!!! :D