Author Topic: Cutting Out.  (Read 1591 times)

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Cutting Out.
« on: 22:17, Sat 13 September 2008 »
This problem is really getting on my tits now.

I can set the idle bang on when sitting on my driveway, but when i drive along and come to a junction or rounderbout etc the revs drop and it cuts out. If i flick the accelerator just after i press the clutch then it's ok, also after it cuts out when i turn the key it fires up and idles normal again!?

Work done so far,

New plugs and checked the leads and dizzy cap (there not that old anyway)
Rebuilt the carb with every hole and crevice blasted with carb cleaner.
New fuel filter.
Checked all the vacumn hoses.

I can get around the problem by turning the idle speed up to about 1000-1100, but the revs still dip but not enough to cut out.

The only thing i can think of is the rev counter is not reading correctly? But saying that when it's idling at ~1000-1100 it does sound a bit to high.

Frustrating!  :evil:

James5

• Test
  • Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 22:32, Sat 13 September 2008 »
Souds like my car matey only was able to solve it by fitting another known working carb and it resolved my prob, was unable to fix my own carb even though i pretty much replaced everything on it.

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 08:27, Sun 14 September 2008 »
Clean the idle jet 1st.. then look for an air leak, prob at the base somewhere. Also, did you replace the little o-ring on the mix screw ?
D/V fitted ??

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 19:13, Sun 14 September 2008 »
Fixed this problem when i fitted the wideband, it was idling to lean. Now sits at ~750rpm without any troubles.  8)

simonglos

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 22:18, Tue 11 November 2008 »
i have the same problem as well i have done every thing i can and it will still not idle what is this wideband thing every one is on about?

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 17:18, Wed 12 November 2008 »
It measures the air/fuel ratio. Basically a lambda sensor, a black box and a digital guage. Not to be confused the with cheap narrowband guages which you can pick up for ~40.

Worth having if you want to turn the boost up rather then fitting large jets and wasting petrol.

Mine was worth it just to get the car running better, it's made a massive difference.

danboi2

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 19:21, Fri 14 November 2008 »
Quote from: "Ash-Lee"
It measures the air/fuel ratio. Basically a lambda sensor, a black box and a digital guage. Not to be confused the with cheap narrowband guages which you can pick up for ~40.

Worth having if you want to turn the boost up rather then fitting large jets and wasting petrol.

Mine was worth it just to get the car running better, it's made a massive difference.

How much did you pay for yours?

Mattuce

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 19:33, Fri 14 November 2008 »
They are 140ish I think.

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: 20:32, Fri 14 November 2008 »
With the VAT and postage etc mine came to about ~180.