Author Topic: my new turbo is wreaking havoc  (Read 1265 times)

PHASEONE

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
my new turbo is wreaking havoc
« on: 20:32, Sat 13 September 2008 »
I can just imagine the eyes rolling and the heads shaking but ive just put a new turbo on my car its a ktec 350 the rest is standard apart from a uprated headgasket  fmic and an uprated carb with an 150 main jet now my intention was to put the turbo on and turn the boost right down to about 8 psi with standard carb but then i went and put the carb on and unsurprisingly it was overfueling an felt shit so i turned up the boost to about 15-20 psi the first thing that happened was that it span a new clutch but surprisingly it was also pinking like mad what i want to know is  this to do with the crank sensor and what would be a happy medium of power that the standard clutch can handle and what main jet would be best.

This is just for the "summer" i will be fitting all the necessesary gear in the winter. ta

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: my new turbo is wreaking havoc
« Reply #1 on: 20:47, Sat 13 September 2008 »
Quote from: "PHASEONE"
I can just imagine the eyes rolling and the heads shaking but ive just put a new turbo on my car its a ktec 350 the rest is standard apart from a uprated headgasket  fmic and an uprated carb with an 150 main jet now my intention was to put the turbo on and turn the boost right down to about 8 psi with standard carb but then i went and put the carb on and unsurprisingly it was overfueling an felt shit so i turned up the boost to about 15-20 psi the first thing that happened was that it span a new clutch but surprisingly it was also pinking like mad what i want to know is  this to do with the crank sensor and what would be a happy medium of power that the standard clutch can handle and what main jet would be best.

This is just for the "summer" i will be fitting all the necessesary gear in the winter. ta

A 150 main jet, jeez mate, hows 10 miles to the gallon  :lol:  !!
Right a bar of boost manifold, 1.3-1.4 main with a 1mm or .9 air corrector i reckon to be safe without setting up with wideband & rr... clutch still may slip with the torque that the turbo will produce though.... to retard the ignition, the tdc goes toward the front of the car....

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 20:48, Sat 13 September 2008 »
Crazy fool !!

PHASEONE

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 20:55, Sat 13 September 2008 »
yeah the original set up was for 22 psi, does a standard tdc adjust? will i need to adjust for the set up you recommend? i was really surprised hear it pinking i was only 2nd gear and a bit of third after that the clutch gives in.

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 21:05, Sat 13 September 2008 »
Well it's using alot of power with that fookin great turbo... Like i say, i can't be certain, the fuel pump may even be weak....Pinking isn't good though, H/G failure imminent i feel :lol:

140 main & .9 ac with 16 psi boost was fine on my old car when i 1st got it... that was with a cam as well.
The tdc can be made to move, for 16 psi you shouldn't need to adjust it though, unless the wires have been swapped, in which case switch them back.

PHASEONE

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 21:19, Sat 13 September 2008 »
Quote from: "GTTBoy"
Crazy fool !!

Its a disease i cant stop

Also in  stock ktec tubular manifold
reworked inlet
gt tuning stage 5 head
aluminium rad
mocal oilcooler
, i would take pics but no camera
 :cry:

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 21:22, Sat 13 September 2008 »
Well you didn't need any of those parts  :lol:
Should have bought a cam & decent clutch ;)

PHASEONE

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 21:26, Sat 13 September 2008 »
yeah i walked straight into that one :roll:

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: 21:31, Sat 13 September 2008 »
yeah i walked straight into that one :roll:

LOL..... I didn't actually mean mine, i just meant thats the way i would have done it, the manifold is the biggest waste of money unless you are runnning well over 220bhp IMHO, same with the head & even then the gains are minimal .... OK so the rad & oil cooler are prob a good buy in the end but for now i'd sell the manifold to buy the clutch !!

PHASEONE

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: 19:38, Sun 14 September 2008 »
Sussed it! i turned the boost down to 15 psi must of been more before and drilled my old main jet out to 1.3 and filled it with shell v power fuel, had asda cheap crap before :oops: . No pinking now and clutch holds 1st 2nd and 3rd and just slips a little going into 4th... goes alright for now, any ideas what power it might be making?

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: 19:52, Sun 14 September 2008 »
carb top or manifold boost ??

I'd guess anywhere between 150 & 160 bhp.

PHASEONE

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: 19:55, Sun 14 September 2008 »
carb top

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: 19:57, Sun 14 September 2008 »
carb top

like i said, 150-160 maybe, all depends how well the engine is..