Author Topic: boost limits?  (Read 885 times)

PHASEONE

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
boost limits?
« on: 20:44, Sat 19 July 2008 »
Hi just got my phase one on the road and noticed that according to the boost gauge guide in the maintenance section mine is boosting about 8 psi is this normal/standard? how much can i turn it up by before the fueling becomes an issue? I have a 1.9mm head gasket and uprated head bolts which have been tourqued up higher than standard i want to eventually build a 200 bhp motor so would you recommend upgrading the actuator now? or winding up the standard one for now if so how do you do it ?

Thanks James

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 21:05, Sat 19 July 2008 »
You will be ok to run up to 12-14psi but i'd still get the fueling checked on a rolling rd.
You will need a biggish turbo to hit 200bhp & alot of other work as well.

PHASEONE

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 22:35, Sat 19 July 2008 »
Yeah i just want more power for the summer i'll go for a low comp motor over the winter

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 07:44, Sun 20 July 2008 »
No need for low comp, standard comp is fine, you'll make more power with less boost & it will feel more torquey as well.
Low comp is an easy way for tuners to sell you an engine & you turn the boost up without blowing it up in the 1st 5 mins, messing with the ign timing etc etc, it's a bit safer & also i suppose allows for if your head has been skimmed alot.....
I would use standard comp & get some det cans or a stethescope & listen for det as you up the boost... a tip for you though, if you want to run that boost use super unleaded as a minimum, i use 99 ron from tesco, it helps prevent knock, also a decent intercooler as well.

PHASEONE

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 16:57, Sun 20 July 2008 »
Hmmm so your saying that for 200 bhp you would use standard pistons?

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 22:47, Sun 20 July 2008 »
Yes, only if the fuelling is spot on.