Author Topic: engine knocking  (Read 2557 times)

bernard

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
engine knocking
« on: 21:31, Thu 03 July 2008 »
I think Ive developed a knocking noise at the bottom of my engine seems to go once warmed up whats it most likely to be big ends/mains? car is performing as normal.

Is it a costly job to have done on these cars.  Thanks

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 21:45, Thu 03 July 2008 »
I would guess it's piston slap if the noise goes.

bernard

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 22:00, Thu 03 July 2008 »
orite is there any other symptoms that would happen if it was piston slap, doesnt seem to be using any oil and is not breathing heavy.

itzik

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 07:56, Fri 04 July 2008 »
i had the same noise, it was the crankshaft...

bernard

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 22:40, Fri 04 July 2008 »
I started it in the morning and could nt really hear it, The reason im worrying
 about it so much is im gonna be ordering basically everything to do with suspension and steering in the next couple of weeks once all my rs turbo parts have sold on flea bay, I want the handling to be spot on as I can tell these cars have a huge poi tension (sorry cant spell it :lol: ) some of the upgrades i shall be getting will be spax coilovers, big brake kit front,rear kit (ktec) , poly bushes, + all standed bits, wishbones, suspension bearings, all new bolts and nuts etc from renault, wheel bearings etc.. plus i shall be getting hubs rollbars etc powder coated. sorry goin on abit lol. ne ways a shall put up a topic once ive started the project.

even If the engine is in need of a rebuild im just gonna carry on driving it, unless its gets really bad if not in a couple of months im planning on getting a
 engine rebuild at a good spec, where the best place to go for engine rebuilds  
 and whats a good spec to go 4.  After around the 170-180bhp

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 23:11, Sat 05 July 2008 »
Where you are K-tec is the closest ( & poss the most expensive)
 Shame you can't do it yourself, with the money you save from labour charges you'd prob get some forged pistons.. standard pistons & liner sets can be had for around 200, new shells 60-70 for the lot, headgasket set 40, bottom end set 35 i think....oils & coolant, 2 new oil filters (you put cheap oil in 1st, run it up to temp & dump it, change the filter & put more oil in, drive gently for 250 miles.....)
If you were closer i'd have done it for you or helped you do it.

Oh & you can get most or all the parts you want from Bob @ CGB Motorsport (-5%)
If you want wishbones get him to send you the new ones with the bushes pressed into them, saves you having to get the standard ones out ;)

bernard

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 21:15, Sun 06 July 2008 »
Yeah ktec is not the cheapest, I can do the removal and refitting of the engine but have never tryed rebuilding one.  I think im just going to start saving for the rebuild  :roll:  

just got some wishbones from gsf loads cheaper than buying from ktec. I think my mates got a press so should be ok.
Thanks for the advice gttboy

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 21:53, Sun 06 July 2008 »
Even with a press they will be a pain to get out.

Best way i found is with a blowtorch to burn away all the rubber, then you have access to the metal 'outer' with a hacksaw.

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: 08:55, Mon 07 July 2008 »
Quote from: "Ash-Lee"
Even with a press they will be a pain to get out.

Best way i found is with a blowtorch to burn away all the rubber, then you have access to the metal 'outer' with a hacksaw.

New ones will be fine ;)

Make sure you have the right ones, i had one that was for a clio & it was slightly longer, the wheel looked like it was falling off (it was sold as a GTT one)

bernard

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: 19:29, Tue 08 July 2008 »
guess what Ive just looked at the wishbones and one of them is longer than the other it is listed as one for the gt turbo as well what a pain, I think I shalll just ask for my money back on the wrong wishbone to save them fooking up again  :roll:

I take it the longer one is the wrong one?

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: 20:07, Tue 08 July 2008 »
Prob, offer it up to the one on the car & go get your money back & order them from CGB.