Author Topic: 180-200bhp? any ideas?  (Read 2714 times)

lexgtturbo

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
180-200bhp? any ideas?
« on: 17:45, Sun 01 June 2008 »
Im not sure if im going to go all out when it comes to bhp. Im just wondering what i would need to do to get reliable 180-200bhp in my five.

Its pretty quick allready as im running a garret t3 at 1,2 bar at the moment. Ive run it on 1,5bar earlier and no pinking even then :)

I know that something has been done to the carburator, but i have no idea what has been done.

The original Intercooler has been strapped, but im not sure if it has been done anything internally.

As i wrote earlier in this post, im not sure im going for 200bhp yet, but still its tempting.

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 19:40, Sun 01 June 2008 »
I'm not sure the standard intercooler will be good enough at 1.2BAR. I think the double capacity ones are the best, or a front mount.

lexgtturbo

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 21:36, Sun 01 June 2008 »
hehe i think you might have misunderstood my question.

my question is what do i have to do to acheive that much horsepower. and yes im thinking of buying the grill mount intercooler from k-tec. :)

but thanks for the suggestion  :)

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 21:52, Sun 01 June 2008 »
You need a decent sized turbo, a cam will help as you can rev it higher, decent intercooler/chargecooler, carb re-jetted & checked with wideband or on a rolling road for the boost you wish to run, i'd say 1.4-1.5 bar boost should see 200 with standard compression anything over that & you may need to retard the ignition, you may have to anyway, listen out for det with a stethescope or det cans.
Also worth checking the hoses/cooling system as well.
Prob best to do the headgasket if it hasn't been changed in years.
Oh & you'll need a decent clutch to cope with the power, volvo turbo for 180-190, for 200 & over go for a paddle plate with the volvo cover, it will last longer, the volvo will be ok but tends to wear out pretty quick if you are dragging the car alot.

lexgtturbo

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 09:59, Mon 02 June 2008 »
thanks alot for quick reply :D

now im just gonna check how much i have to pay for all of this.

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 10:45, Mon 02 June 2008 »
You will need an uprated fuel pump as well.

lexgtturbo

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 12:51, Mon 02 June 2008 »
thanks alot 8)

And if i do all of the above the car should be fast as F"# :twisted:
hehe.

BTW what cam should i go for? The piper 285 or the uprated ktec one? or maybe some other one?

oh and what jets and air correctors should i go for?

And of course i guess ill need a better oil cooler or not?

lexgtturbo

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 13:24, Mon 02 June 2008 »
and the magic number is 1543 delivered in Norway after taxes and ill have to do all the work myself...

parts in uk alone comes to 1157 pluss im hoping for a discount on the parts. BTW this is the ktec price.

hmmm a vacation to the UK sounds nice... and get everything mounted in the car while i sit in some pub drinking beer sounds VERY nice....  :lol:

lexgtturbo

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: 13:46, Mon 02 June 2008 »
any advise on where i should order all these parts and maybe get the work done? or is ktec the best choice?

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: 15:14, Mon 02 June 2008 »
You can certainly pick up parts cheaper than on K-tec but then i'm not 100% sure on courier costs.
Piper 285 with vernier pulley or a catcams cam, they prob won't need the pulley as they are ground from blanks IIRC.
Turbo i use a T25 & it cost me 550
uprated fuel pump is about 80 if you shop around
Intercooler, i'd steer clear of the grill mount personally, some say they're ok, some think they are rubbish.... up to you on that one, i made my own FMIC (ebay special for 80) & then did the piperun myself (cost about another 100-150 )
carb jets are pretty cheap, if you don't mind the car running a bit rich on normal driving then just get a grp A or k-tec carb, if you fancy having a go yourself then there is a post in the DIY section of this forum about changing jets etc.
Clutch can be had for 80-100 for the volvo(add another 170 for a paddle plate) , if you can order from a motor factors in Norway order the valeo clutch for the volvo 440 turbo in the green box.
All this is of course if you can get the parts posted by the different people & then by the time you add all the courier charges does it work out any cheaper?!
The turbo you have may be ok for decent power if it's a T3/25 of some sorts.
Headset off ebay for 40 or CGB sell them, again, not sure on courier costs, as a matter of fact Bob @ CGB may be able to supply most of the parts for you, it may be worth asking him.

lexgtturbo

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: 15:55, Mon 02 June 2008 »
the package cost to send a package under 31kg to Norway is somewhere around 49

As for the turbo im considering changing the exhaust housing on this T3 to a T25. The turbo has a T3 exhaust house at the moment, which in my opinion is way to big... Because of things like that i have alot of lag, the turbo doesnt kick in before 3000-3500rpm.

And if i read youre post correctly, youre advise is to buy a front mount cooler. If i where to buy a universal cooler and do the piping myself could you send me the measures of it. I guess i could go a bit wider than yours because of my front bumper, but im not sure.

looks like me and Bob(from cgb) need to have a little chat. hehe.

thanks again  :D

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: 16:01, Mon 02 June 2008 »
No need to run a bigger cooler than mine, also what is the T3 off that you run at the moment, what are the compressor sizes & wheel sizes, do you know??
3-3500 rpms is ok for a large turbo, mine doesn't hit full bosst till 4000rpms but it makes good torque well before that so it doesn't bother me, i love the way it pulls & pulls to 6500 rpms, i will be revving it to 7000 soon :)