Author Topic: just picked up new 5 no impressed so far  (Read 2134 times)

Rossyboy99

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
just picked up new 5 no impressed so far
« on: 20:00, Sat 17 November 2007 »
went to get my 5 today and it was ok when on the test drive remined me of my old rattly metro! sorry! but i liked that a go cart feeling

car made a lot of noise through mid exhaust, and drove not to bad lloks in good shape for 20 yrs old, but the performance sucks a lot of noise and no go, reading up i think its standard boost which may play a part, i had a boost knob in the car but turned it both ways with no difference, also there is a red switch by my left leg fook knows what thats for the car needs some serious power input to make me happy.

so just checking middle of the boost gauge is about standard?

also the temp went up to the second line whilst in a garage getting fuel then on the 140 mile trip home it sat about 2mm from the bottom till i had a rest stop is this normal? oil pressure was at 5 until i stopped?

james70

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 10:30, Sun 18 November 2007 »
Most of them are abit rattly mate. When i got mine i had a driveshaft on its way out, top mounts fuked, nocky exhuast, snapped spring, so it made it pretty noisy, sorted all these probs except the driveshaft, so its only abit nocky at times.

Why didnt you ask the previous owner what the switches where for ect, sounds like you have a bleed valve, but might not be working. Yes if it goes to half way on the turbo gauge its running stnadard boost, just geting into the red is about 14.

Theres a few guides on this website have a read about, temperature should sit just above the 2nd mark under normal driving conditions. Obviously if you stop it will get hotter, dont let it go to high tho!

5 oil pressure is all good
*** Window tinting service - Mail me ***

---WANTED---
Clear fogs

JK

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 13:14, Sun 18 November 2007 »
Crazzy! Ive gotta tottaly standard phase 1 and mine boosts past the half way line..? does that mean the boosts been upped? It goes to the top bar before the full redline cuts in.  :o
I got 5 on it..

Hafis

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 16:40, Sun 18 November 2007 »
every line on the boost gauge is 0,1 bar so in ther middle i think its the 5th line and that means 0,5 bar and that 0,1 less then standard i think so..

But just so u know the difference form 0,5 and 0,8 is HUGE. and get rid of the incar boostcontroler until u fix the engiine like u want it.

Noisy? Well...i like it noisy:D

H150GTT

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 16:54, Sun 18 November 2007 »
In regards to the water temperature when driving the car it sounds like your car isnt running a thermostat...

If you take off or even squeeze the top water hose just before the water pump there should be somethin wedged into the inside of the pipe.  This allows the water temp to be maintained at a certain running temp..  Usually around 82 degrees.  Thats around the second mark or at roughly 10 oclock.  If you drive it hard it may creep up to the third mark but it should come back down again.  the fan should also cut in at about the third mark stage.

If your car isnt running a thermostat i would advise you to get one asap as it isnt good for the engine not having one.

Hope that helps.
Wayne

Rossyboy99

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
thermostat
« Reply #5 on: 17:02, Sun 18 November 2007 »
is the thermostat an easy diy change for a novice?

H150GTT

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 17:09, Sun 18 November 2007 »
yes its very easy..  its just a matter of taking the pipe off at the water pump and pushing the thermo stat into the pipe.  Then fit a hose clip to the outside of the pipe to hold it in place.  Am sure you will manage

Am sure there will be a pic on here somewere to show where it should go.  I will have a look.  

By the sounds of things you should think about buying a haynes manual for the car..  Its full of info like this.  Mines been used that much its about to fall apart.  

You are going to be busy for a while by the sounds.

Regards
Wayne

H150GTT

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 17:18, Sun 18 November 2007 »
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i96/2 ... 007095.jpg

If you look at this pic you will see the top hose between the radiator and the water pump.  There are 2 hose clips on the water pump side.  The second hose clip is holding the themostat in place.  Have a look at your car and see if it has this.

Wayne

Rossyboy99

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
cool
« Reply #8 on: 17:38, Sun 18 November 2007 »
ok cheers wayne i'll get on that asap i think i'll replace it even if there is one for the lower temp version, that picture of the engine bay is awsome, my car would fall apart if i took the dirt off to make it like that lol.

H150GTT

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: 18:04, Sun 18 November 2007 »
Yea that engine bay is clean.. It aint mine tho..  

Mine is nowere near that clean lol..  just one of the guys on the site added that pic of their car.

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: 21:54, Sun 18 November 2007 »
Quote from: "H150GTT"
In regards to the water temperature when driving the car it sounds like your car isnt running a thermostat...

If you take off or even squeeze the top water hose just before the water pump there should be somethin wedged into the inside of the pipe.  This allows the water temp to be maintained at a certain running temp..  Usually around 82 degrees.  Thats around the second mark or at roughly 10 oclock.  If you drive it hard it may creep up to the third mark but it should come back down again.  the fan should also cut in at about the third mark stage.

If your car isnt running a thermostat i would advise you to get one asap as it isnt good for the engine not having one.

Hope that helps.
Wayne

Second mark is 60c, third is 90c and the top one is 110c.