Author Topic: The D R E A D E D brown stuff....  (Read 2811 times)

5-Mission

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
The D R E A D E D brown stuff....
« on: 18:56, Thu 04 October 2007 »
No... not heroin... Rust!! My car hasn't got that much of the stuff, but what it has got I want to get rid of. Obviously.
The trouble is that some of it is under the rear torsion bar axle-mount on the left-hand side and this means working on it upside down which is a pain in the arse. Anyone heard of the Frost catalogue? They do restoration gear for classic and vintage cars, allsorts of tools and treatments etc. They've got this thing called a bodyroller which is basically a tubular welded contraption which attatches to your hubs, holds and lifts the car and then rotates it through 90 degrees sideways on.
This would be well usefull for sorting it any under-car welding that was needed making access much easier - no more dirt and shit in your eye!, unfortunately the axle has to come off to access the rust which means no rear mounting point so the car'll have to stay on the deck for the time being.
Anyway, more to the point: One definite MOT failure is gonna be rusty brake lines. Does anyone know if they're predominantly one piece along the length that runs under the car? They look a bastard to change, and obviously there's loads of stupid brackets and covers and stuff Renault decided to put there to make things more awkward (as if the car wasn't in enough pieces already!) Reckon I might have to change the sills as well:-(
as rust treatment never seems to FULLY work. The best bet I think (for the areas you can reach, at least), is a flexi sanding disk on a grinder. For those you can't, just get as much of the loose stuff out as you can and treat as best as possible.
I don't think the Haynes manual mentions changing brake lines. Anyone got any ideas??
Any posts are welcome! I notice no-one's replied to any posts in the DIY forum yet.

One last thing: Does anyone know where you buy aftermarket bodykits for R5s these days??! I can't find any online anywhere apart drom K-Tec Racing and I'm not that keen on their front valence. When I last had my R5 on the road (2002), loads of people did Renault 5 Turbo kits. Where have they all gone? 2 in particular were Pro-Sport and Fibresports...

Goran

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bhrenaultclub.com
Re: The D R E A D E D brown stuff....
« Reply #1 on: 13:34, Fri 05 October 2007 »
Quote from: "5-Mission"
Any posts are welcome! I notice no-one's replied to any posts in the DIY forum yet.

No-one replies in the DIY section because it's not meant for discussions... if you did something yourself you present it there with pictures and a short explanatory story... that's it... :wink:
And that's why I moved your topic here...

frog

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 15:05, Fri 05 October 2007 »
The car rollers are a very good peice of equipment.
I'm a member on a VW Aircooled website and the people on there swear by them for welding the underneath of the car.
I think the only problem with them is that they need a lot of room, and then you need somewhere to store it when its not in use.

5-Mission

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: The D R E A D E D brown stuff....
« Reply #3 on: 22:13, Fri 05 October 2007 »
OK, fair play. I didn't know. I've never belonged to an automotive forum before! I did wonder were it'd gone.

Regards bodyrollers, I've got nowhere near enough room to use one anyway. They're well expensive as well, although one did sell on ebay the other week for only 290 quid - bargain!

laura

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 14:35, Fri 19 October 2007 »
hi

if you are going to do the work your self id get the car acid dipped or shot blast, im going to get my other renny acid dipped when i find a place that does it lol, if not there is a shot blast place up the road and it will do there.

have you had a look on primaracing.com for the bodykits and other stuff? they have a range of stuff for the R5 think it might be a touch on the expensive side but i havent found anywhere else that still does it apart from like you said prima.
im really sad to say to that bb tuning dont offer a servie for rennys anymore, they still sell engine rebuild kits but not fitted anymore, they dont offer rolling road anymore either, think they have gone all scoobie.

5-Mission

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 22:36, Sun 28 October 2007 »
I thought all shot blasting was done in shot blasting cabinets? I could be wrong, but they keep all all the shotblasting beads (think they're beads iirc?) from flying everywhere. The cabinet would have to be pretty massive to get the whole car in, lol
Maybe they've developed drive in ones now? :) I'm just gonne scrape and cut away as much of the rust as possible and weld new metal in place where it needs it then thoroughly paint, underseal and waxoyl everything to prevent it coming back.

I checked out Prima Racing's site, I'd forgotten about them! They still do the tarmac bumper - I was well surprised! I used to have one. I chopped all the centre and number plate section out and 'glassed in new lips and stuff to give it the 'open mouth' look, as it was known. After I'd finished filling and sanding it all I got the car and all the kit painted but managed to smash into a kerb trying to avoid roadworks (long story), and totally destroyed it. :cry:  :roll:

djmers

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=454
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 12:37, Mon 29 October 2007 »
CARISMA SELL KITS FOR THE FIVE ASWELL, CHECK OUT WWW.CARISMAAUTOMOTIVE.CO.UK.