Author Topic: welding  (Read 3707 times)

RickGTT

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
welding
« on: 20:10, Sun 02 September 2007 »
my body needs some welding and was gonna buy a welder and do it myself but dont know what kind of welder to use i.e what amp etc..
theres a little 5 in all of us

RickGTT

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 21:18, Tue 04 September 2007 »
i take it no one knows then :(

whooosh

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 10:27, Wed 05 September 2007 »
mig welder is prob best :)
turbo whine is mighty fine

RickGTT

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 17:54, Wed 05 September 2007 »
what ampage one do would be best

ben 5

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 19:16, Wed 05 September 2007 »
for welding a car u want a mig at least a 135 or above deffo higher if its things like the chassis rails like a 155 mig(probaly best)
one careful lady owner
never raced or rallied!

RickGTT

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 19:54, Thu 06 September 2007 »
thanks alot :wink:  now i can finaly attempt to finish my body work on my car :D  8)  :D

ben 5

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 19:41, Wed 12 September 2007 »
i would practise first b4 attacking the car though
one careful lady owner
never raced or rallied!

RickGTT

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 19:15, Thu 13 September 2007 »
thats what i was thinking-i got a mini moto that im "pimping" and a bit of the frame is in the way of my custom air intake so im gonna practice on that 8)

veedubwez

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: 19:47, Tue 25 September 2007 »
get the biggest mig set you can afford as it will come in handy later on 8)

i would recon going down a scrappers and getting a bonnet as it has lots of metal to practice on, paint strip it and clean it up well (weld hates any paint or rust with a passion!)

most car bodywork is 1mm thick steel and a setting of 55-65 amp is about right. Now with thin sheet metal it is best to (presuming you're right handed, welding gun in right hand) work from left to right, this will reduce destortion in the work peice, conventualy you would work from right to left moving the gun into the weld pool as apposed to away from it.

move the gun up and down in a weaving patten (need to put up a pic of this!) keeping the speed of travel constant and a nice tight weld bead.

when you have done a test peice turn it over and look at the back. a fine trace of weld should be evident, this is know as  PENETRATION  (welders do it with deep PENETRATION!)

if there is a large amount of weld that has penetrated the other side turn the amps down, if not turn the amps up a cock hair and try again!
 :lol:

as for the wire speed setting:- if it feels as if the gun is being pushed away from the workpeice turn it down a bit (this is know as 'stubbing') if its burning back upto the nozzle of the gun then turn it up a nip!

GAS:- C02 is mostly used for mig welding in mild steel, dont bother buying them shitty little bottles for extortionate rates, for 20 you can get a big bottle, or you're local pub landlord may be able to supply you one. most gas supplyers will stock C02 (10 deposit on the bottle and 10 for the gas. 10 to refill it each time and will probably last you a year or more)

dont bother with the gas/no gas sets cos its a joke, any air in the weld will result in porosity (air bubbles in the weld and a very poor weld)

its all practice, with some people it will come easy to, some may never make a good welder as long as they have a hole in their ar*e!

if you stuck goto www.britchopper.co.uk and register in the forum (tell em wez sent you) and ask in the help wanted section, theres alot of costom builders in here (bike and cars, hotrods.....)

RickGTT

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: 17:39, Wed 26 September 2007 »
cool thanks for info,found it really usefull 8)

JAYS5gtt

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: 09:04, Tue 02 October 2007 »
Any mig welder as its only a car will need no more than 100amp welder to do it. much more will just melt what your welding mate. If you not sure i wouldnt try it easy to mess it up really quick and will cost you more in the long run. Also make sure you disconect the battery could get messy.

veedubwez

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: 22:42, Wed 03 October 2007 »
disconect the batt and alternator! cheap migs are crap, but it depends and what you can afford, if the better will only cost you missing a night out its worth it, will save you're self shelling out yet again if you could have done it right in the first time.

gas/no gas migs are a waste of time, you need a sheilding gas to create a good weld (no oxygen/hydrogen present in the weld as this will create porosity (air bubbles in the weld in a nut shell))

the way the no gas migs work is when the torch is used as the posotive  (+) and the bench is ground, 70% of the heat is in the gun and 30% of the heat in the workpeice, BUT...  there is no sheilding gas and allowing oxygen and other active gases into the weld (= crap weld full of  tiny holes)

normaly the workpeice is live (70% heat in the work 30% in the gun)

you will find if you have too much gas flowing it will create turbulance in the weld (you will struggle to keep a uniform  and constant arc established and it will blow holes as it will freeze the weldpool and as it re-strikes it will just blow a fkn great hole for you (within a split second!))

too little gas will have the same effect and alot og spitting as oxygen takes its effect!

more to follow goto nip out!

frog

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: 06:49, Fri 05 October 2007 »
Have asked this question numerous times ( i used to own Minis and hopefully will soon be taking on a Vw camper project), from the answers i've had it basically comes down to 2 things, Money and Welding conditions.
Buy the best you can afford (as with all things in life)
Welding conditions can have a big impact on the welder you choose.
If your mainly welding outside then a No-gas will be a better option as the wind wont affect the gas used by a gas mig, but a gas welder will give a beter weld if mainly welding indoors.
A gas welder can be used with gasless welding wire so the best bet (in my opinion) is a gas mig as it covers (nearly) all circumstances

RickGTT

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: 18:29, Fri 05 October 2007 »
was thinking bout getting one of these of ebay.is this any good and is it a descent price?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sealey-Mightymig- ... dZViewItem