Author Topic: group a carb  (Read 6593 times)

r555gt

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
group a carb
« on: 21:57, Tue 09 April 2013 »
hi guys first post here on the forum :) just wanting some info on a group a carb i reconditioned one recently and was going to put it on my renault 5 raider, just wanting some info about tuning the carb so it runs right or anything i need to upgrade for it to work properly or would i be better without the group a ?

Thank sean

James5

• Test
  • Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: group a carb
« Reply #1 on: 12:50, Wed 10 April 2013 »
To be honest you would be better sitcking a standard venturi carb on your 5.  I take it you have a wideband afr kit with gauge?? if so it's a case of playing with the air corrector and 2nd stage jet to fuel for more boost.

r555gt

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16:12, Wed 10 April 2013 »
Quote from: "James5"
To be honest you would be better sitcking a standard venturi carb on your 5.  I take it you have a wideband afr kit with gauge?? if so it's a case of playing with the air corrector and 2nd stage jet to fuel for more boost.

I dont have the afr kit mate but i still have 2 standard carbs sitting there and the group a carb, the guy that had the car before me said with group a carb it was pushing out an extra 30bhp but im not really all that clued up too well about engines lol

James5

• Test
  • Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16:45, Wed 10 April 2013 »
Quote from: "r555gt"

I dont have the afr kit mate but i still have 2 standard carbs sitting there and the group a carb, the guy that had the car before me said with group a carb it was pushing out an extra 30bhp but im not really all that clued up too well about engines lol

All engine's are different the carb needs to be fine tuned to your engine and the boost level your engine is capable of.  I would go back to a std carb and buy a wideband kit before you turn the boost up above standard.  What turbo are you running? also what cam is in your engine? any other mods to your car? intercooler type?  

For example a std carb from renault factory gave 120bhp with a few jet adjustment's on a std carb my last c1j setup was around the 230bhp area.  

Saying the carb gave an extra 30bhp is just crap.  My advice is buy a decent wideband kit before you doing anything else for example the AEM Uego kit as sold by http://www.efi-parts.co.uk/index.php?productID=204

r555gt

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17:09, Wed 10 April 2013 »
Quote from: "r555gt"

All engine's are different the carb needs to be fine tuned to your engine and the boost level your engine is capable of.  I would go back to a std carb and buy a wideband kit before you turn the boost up above standard.  What turbo are you running? also what cam is in your engine? any other mods to your car? intercooler type?  

For example a std carb from renault factory gave 120bhp with a few jet adjustment's on a std carb my last c1j setup was around the 230bhp area.  

Saying the carb gave an extra 30bhp is just crap.  My advice is buy a decent wideband kit before you doing anything else for example the AEM Uego kit as sold by http://www.efi-parts.co.uk/index.php?productID=204

Well i have a sheet basically saying the turbo was a bb tuning generation 3 turbo since then tho the turbo was pushing oil so we made one from that turbo and a t25 that was on a 2 litre rover turbo engine,
upload foto

James5

• Test
  • Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10:54, Thu 11 April 2013 »
Sorry dude wasn't saying what you said was crap I meant the guy that sold you the grp a.

I think your next investment needs to be the wideband kit before you do anything else to the 5.

r555gt

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21:35, Thu 11 April 2013 »
yeah i know mate lol no worries :) i will need to get some cash together for the wideband kit...al in good time :) thanks

Sean