Author Topic: need some engine swap help and knowledge  (Read 6762 times)

smithyr

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
need some engine swap help and knowledge
« on: 21:25, Sat 23 February 2013 »
hi i am new here just bought a Renault 5 campus always wanted a gt turbo but never been able to get one come across a really clean campus of a friend of the family and fort why not so heres the start of my project. basically going to keep the campus looking standard in every way from the interior to the steels. but i want to drop a new engine in her plus upgrade the brakes maybe run some coilies to. so whats the best engine swaps and whats the easiest any knowledge of what parts of what cars i can use to make a epic sleeper is much appreciated.

Thanks
Ryan

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: need some engine swap help and knowledge
« Reply #1 on: 22:09, Sat 23 February 2013 »
How much knowledge of mechanics have you got? I ask as the easiest is prob drop the GTT running gear in & away you go, you might need the clocks as well as the campus will be cable no doubt. Clio 16v isn't to bad but wiring is hard if you can't get your head round that sort of thing, nor is the volvo turbo engine swap. Then you are onto things like the clio 172/182 or 20v VW/Audi sort of stuff which is alot harder to sort. The VW stuff involves cutting subframes & fabricating engine mounts etc.

smithyr

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22:19, Sat 23 February 2013 »
my mechanical skill is very basic but i have a good friend who is a mechanic and he will do the swap with me as help. basically i want to get the most power with out doing to much welding and fabrication work. a nice bolt in or just doing new engine mounts and gearbox mounts would be nice. but getting a turbo would be good. but the other factor is cost dont want to spend thousands on the initial swap

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15:49, Sun 24 February 2013 »
Just get the running gear from the GT Turbo then.

smithyr

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18:20, Sun 24 February 2013 »
i come across this viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10966 and surely doing this swap would result in a faster more reliable car maybe wrong. and i know renault 5 gt turbos hold there money so how much would i be looking for the running gear.

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19:33, Sun 24 February 2013 »
If you can find one then yes it's a pretty good conversion, personally I think the GT Turbo one is easier to get power from :)

smithyr

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19:49, Sun 24 February 2013 »
but how much to buy a gt turbo running gear 100s or over a  thousand

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09:50, Sun 07 April 2013 »
Quote from: "smithyr"
but how much to buy a gt turbo running gear 100s or over a  thousand

If you shop around it shouldn't cost more then 1000. For example I had myself a known good engine for 100.

Investing in a decent turbo makes sense, it would of worked out cheaper for me to stump up the 300 I payed for my current turbo then the endless Rover T25 and used T2s which used to cost around 100-150 a time (I got through about 3 of them over the years!)