Author Topic: cooling fan issue  (Read 3406 times)

MRL

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
cooling fan issue
« on: 20:04, Thu 31 January 2013 »
Hi guys iv just finished rebuilding my c1j engine and she's a runner  :mrgreen:

but iv got it up to temp and the cooling fan wont cut in, at first i thought it was just taking ages due to new coolant but its def not cutting in  :cry:

iv checked the fan and its good, the top hose gets hot so im assuming the stat is opening.

iv checked and the temp sensor (on the waterpump) is connected but is this only for the gauge in the car??
is there something im missing??
what can i check next??

any help greatly appreciated as im desperate to get her running and this is all thats stopping me  :twisted:

R5_FIN

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
Re: cooling fan issue
« Reply #1 on: 21:12, Thu 31 January 2013 »
There should be the fan switch on the radiator, you can short the wires coming to the switch. If the fan goes on, the switch is broken. Of course fuse and relay should be checked also.

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22:18, Thu 31 January 2013 »
As above, there are two temperature sensors.

Water pump sensor is for the gauge on the dashboard.
Radiator sensor is for the cooling fan.

The radiator fan is permanently live so if you do bridge the wires at the sensor as mentioned above be mindful of where your fingers are!

MRL

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23:10, Thu 31 January 2013 »
excellent, cheers guys il attack it tomorrow and let you know :mrgreen:

MRL

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20:30, Wed 27 February 2013 »
right, stat is opening, fan works if bridged and temp sensor seems to be fine so im guessing iv got some wiring prob somewhere along the line  :cry:  :cry:

is there any chance anyone could show/tell me the wiring layout as in what goes to where so as i can try and trace them,

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21:21, Wed 27 February 2013 »
If the fan comes on when you have disconnected the radiator temperature sensor and bridged those two wires then the temperature sensor in the radiator must be broken. If the wiring was broken elsewhere then the fan wouldn't work full stop.

Either that or there is air trapped in the radiator so the sensor isn't reading the correct temperature and turning the fan on.

I have had to mess about with my fan a few times, there isn't that many parts to the system. It's basically.

Fan.
Radiator temp switch.
Small black square relay (usually dangling around in the area in front of the alternator).

I can't remember the wiring off the top of my head but if you need more more help I can double check on my own car tomorrow.