Author Topic: Idle problem  (Read 2358 times)

Andimac

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
Idle problem
« on: 08:10, Wed 16 January 2013 »
Hi all. Ive finally got my pipework right i think, but im having problems with the idle. Car is a mare to start until its warm (doesnt have a choke flap atm ) starts with easy start then runs ok on fuel but cuts out unless you keep some gas on. There was a yellow wire and a black wire under the aei unit that burned out (yellow is live) . Car idled ok before this happened so am i right in assuming this is the problem. NB the wires dont go to the aei or relay so i dont know what there for they look like theyve been soldered together at some point. Any help or a choke flap would be greatly appreciated

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: Idle problem
« Reply #1 on: 16:17, Wed 16 January 2013 »
There are 3 sets of wires usually plugged into the AEI. There's the power, TDC sensor and the knock sensor (Phase 2 models only AFAIK) also the vacumn pipe.

I reckon you must have power and TDC otherwise the car wouldn't start? If it's the knock sensor wiring you can just remove that, assuming you know your fuellings correct if you run higher boost.

As for cold starts yours sounds about right, I wouldn't fancy trying to start mine without the choke flap, even more so in this weather. Also, pulling out the choke opens the thottle a bit to lift the idle speed.

Do you still have the heater pipes attached to the base of the carb, that should help a bit but you will still need to feather the thottle until it's warmed up a bit.

Andimac

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Idle problem
« Reply #2 on: 11:17, Fri 25 January 2013 »
cheers will try a choke flap and im just gonna trace that wire like