Author Topic: Steering Problems  (Read 2239 times)

Muiller

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
Steering Problems
« on: 16:53, Fri 04 January 2013 »
Hi guys

Just wondering if anyone would know what up with my steering.

I will be driving alone and the next thing I know the car has moved(jumped) to the middle of the road.The steering feels a bit loose.Is the steering rack worn?.
I have recently replaced
suspension strut mounts
Shocks
Ball joints
Track rod ends.
Outer ARB bushes

Any help greatly appreciated

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: Steering Problems
« Reply #1 on: 17:19, Fri 04 January 2013 »
A common problem is the universal joint connecting the steering rack to the steering column, if you rock the steering wheel and the front wheels don't move it's probably that.

It shouldn't skip over the road though, given the list of parts you have changed it wouldn't surprise me if your tracking is out, have you had it checked?

Muiller

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Steering Problems
« Reply #2 on: 17:54, Fri 04 January 2013 »
Quote from: "Ash-Lee"
A common problem is the universal joint connecting the steering rack to the steering column, if you rock the steering wheel and the front wheels don't move it's probably that.

It shouldn't skip over the road though, given the list of parts you have changed it wouldn't surprise me if your tracking is out, have you had it checked?

It is very strange,there is no play in the steering when parked.It has been tracked twice as I thought it was the tracking,so I went and got it done again to make sure.

The only thing I can see is the two inner ARB bushes could do with being changed but that shouldn't make the car skip.
All I can think of is the rack teeth might be worn.