Author Topic: Cylinder head thickness  (Read 3669 times)

keirv6

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
Cylinder head thickness
« on: 18:13, Mon 26 November 2012 »
Hi can some one tell me the min thickness the head can be mine has been skimmed a few times

keirv6

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
Re: Cylinder head thickness
« Reply #1 on: 18:23, Mon 26 November 2012 »
My head measures 72.9mm

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18:29, Mon 26 November 2012 »
That measurement is abit low now for me to use, if you still wanted to use it i would either flat top the pistons or machine the squash area out abit in the head to drop the compresson down again, at 72.9 the compression will be abit too high
BD Autosport - Renault 5 gt turbo tuning and repairs.

keirv6

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18:40, Mon 26 November 2012 »
Thanks fir the help I am going to buy new pistons and liners as three liners were cracked would you advise me to buy lower compression pistons or stick with standard and look for a new head

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19:27, Mon 26 November 2012 »
Quote from: "keirv6"
Thanks fir the help I am going to buy new pistons and liners as three liners were cracked would you advise me to buy lower compression pistons or stick with standard and look for a new head

You can go either way mate, if you go for lower comp pistons you don't have to go too bigger dish just flat top ones will do

3 cracked liners, i bet thats due to comp ratio  :wink:
BD Autosport - Renault 5 gt turbo tuning and repairs.

keirv6

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19:33, Mon 26 November 2012 »
Quote from: "markey mark (bd)"
Quote from: "keirv6"

You can go either way mate, if you go for lower comp pistons you don't have to go too bigger dish just flat top ones will do

3 cracked liners, i bet thats due to comp ratio  :wink:

Maybe the chap I got the car from had just had the head gasket done the engine got that hot it melted some off the wiring the garage that fixed it must have just put a new head gasket on and left the cracked liners as the engine blew up after a couple of miles