Author Topic: Thinking of getting a GT Turbo  (Read 4024 times)

jox

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
Thinking of getting a GT Turbo
« on: 21:58, Mon 19 November 2012 »
Well its been a long time since i owned a gt turbo! i only had mine for a few months before i sold it due to money issues. since then i have been driving all sorts of modern cars and found they just don't give me the same kick that the old skool stuff used too.

The GT turbo is one of these childhood dream car's of mine, i would love to get one again but im worried about reliability, I don't mind spending a couple of grand on the engine if i can build something reliabl.

Im completly out of touch with these cars now, would i be stupid to consider one of these as a daily car? 20k miles a year? like i say im willing to spend money to rebuild the engine if i can make it last and be reliable, i would want around 200hp aswell.

any advice guys?

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking of getting a GT Turbo
« Reply #1 on: 22:24, Mon 19 November 2012 »
Up until late last year I used mine for everyday use for 4 years.

As long as you keep it serviced and sort out the little niggles before the list gets too long then you should be fine.

It's going to be a bit more awkward if your used to a modern car, even more so this time of year with cold starts, manual choke and less then enthusiastic heaters.

NemesisGTR

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18:49, Tue 20 November 2012 »
Quote from: "Ash-Lee"
this time of year with cold starts, manual choke and less then enthusiastic heaters.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
FB= Hans Macken

Home built turbo

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21:37, Tue 20 November 2012 »
Get one while u still can I say get as many as u can?:)I own a 06 megane rs 225 (stage3)had many cars and u can't beet a 5 mate don't listen to reliability issues from people just enjoy while u can:)

Home built turbo

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21:42, Tue 20 November 2012 »
And 200 bhp in a 5 is a lot faster than most new cars I wouldn't use a 200bhp 5 for 20k miles a year tho  :lol: maby 2k 150 hp 5 would be fast enough for road use and do miles that's what I say but what do I no :twisted:

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21:53, Tue 20 November 2012 »
Quote from: "Home built turbo"
And 200 bhp in a 5 is a lot faster than most new cars I wouldn't use a 200bhp 5 for 20k miles a year though  :lol: maby 2k 150 hp 5 would be fast enough for road use and do miles that's what I say but what do I no :twisted:

The car will only go as fast as you make it.  :)

Mine runs 22PSI, doesn't mean it had to run 22PSI everyday. Although admittingly it can be difficult to hold back sometimes.  :twisted:

Home built turbo

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22:00, Tue 20 November 2012 »
Yer u no liKe I Said what do I no  :P

jox

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22:29, Thu 22 November 2012 »
So whats the real deal with reliability then. as i say i do about 20k per year, currently have a company  but considering a old 5 am i mad LOL

Seriosuly tho im willing to throw some cash at one of these as they are like my childhood dream car

Put it this way i have been looking at audi s4's and e46 m3's if you want to know what kind of budget i have to work with. however i don't want to spend that kind of money on a 5

BUT i would be happy to spend up to  around 4k, including buying and making it reliable.

What is the best way to make one of these reliable? from what i can recall it was headgaskets that used to blow due to incorrectly set up engines. is there anyway at all to make them truly reliable?  im willing to spend cash to do this. but the last thing i want to to spend cash and it brake down all the time after and end up as a money pit. but everytime i look at one i just want to buy one lol

jox

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20:34, Sun 25 November 2012 »
Bump  :D

Seems very quite on here any more thoughts on this. i REALLY would like another 5 if it can be reliable daily.