Author Topic: New 5GTT Owner  (Read 2886 times)

DaveWilliams

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
New 5GTT Owner
« on: 10:43, Thu 11 October 2012 »
Hi Guys,

I'm about to pick up my first 5GTT tomorrow, I must admit I am quite excited, back in the late 80's & early 90's I always quite fancied owning one but never got the opportunity.

I was wondering if there were any do's and don'ts that I should be aware of?

Many thanks

Dave.

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: New 5GTT Owner
« Reply #1 on: 13:12, Thu 11 October 2012 »
Just look over the car for rust, jacking points & sills, rear arches, front around the suspension turrets.
Don't get it & whack the boost up without knowing what the fueling is doing.. make sure the fan works......

DaveWilliams

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13:17, Thu 11 October 2012 »
Quote from: "5teve L"
Just look over the car for rust, jacking points & sills, rear arches, front around the suspension turrets.
Don't get it & whack the boost up without knowing what the fueling is doing.. make sure the fan works......

I've got to get it home from Leeds, (90 miles) so I shall be driving it very carefully to start with. :-)

DaveWilliams

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21:06, Sun 28 October 2012 »
Well the 5GTT I was going to buy from Leeds was less of a car and much more of a project than I was lead to believe from the advert, so I purchased another from Bristol, in great condition although it was a cat D back in 1999.

I do have a couple of questions though.

When filling the car up with fuel if I go past half a tank I get a terrible smell of fuel throughout the car. My guess is that there is a hole somewhere near the top of the tank.

It has original sized wheels on it so getting replacement tyres are expensive, what is the optimal 15" wheels/tyres I should consider?

Many thanks for any help

Dave.

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23:15, Sun 28 October 2012 »
There's a blanking plug on the petrol tank. It's quite common for that to leak, it's about halfway up the tank so they symptoms you describe make sense.

It's difficult to see, but if you lift the car up it's on the drivers side of the tank.