Author Topic: hiya  (Read 7568 times)

Nrg

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
hiya
« on: 15:22, Sat 01 September 2012 »
Hi all new to the site. Seems a great site too.
Owned my 5 gtt since 1996 now . It's a 1991 H reg whitey in standard form. I've had it tucked away in storage for some years now due to a air in coolant problem. It blew the degassing pot into 2 pieces. Replaced head gasket with a rather expensive gt tuning one only to find it still had the same problem grrr. With an ever growing family I stored it.
Now I have stripped the engine out and after a lot of head scratching have found this:

Which I believe is the root of my problem.
Only noticed this as there was a hair line black mark on head gasket.
I'd considered various engine options but have decided to stick to original and rebuild with a little renovation thrown in to try and bring it back to its former glory.

Question is what's my options, can I just replace the liners/ rings ?  Compression test was cylinders 1 and 4 had 8.5 bar and 2 and 3 had 8 bar.

Being a single father with 2 sons my funds are limited hence why she has been stored for so long.

hughesrobert13

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
Re: hiya
« Reply #1 on: 20:59, Fri 07 September 2012 »
single father hats off to you mate  :D as for the car just replace liners and rings and obviously any other nesacery gaskets seals etc its a fairly easy job aslong as your confident. just make sure theres no other damage etc
Every day is a school day !

Nrg

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09:21, Sun 09 September 2012 »
Thankyou for the reply.
Having had a good look now and extracting the liner , seems to be a strip down and rebuild which I'm quite confident I can do. Engine is in excellent condition . This damage occured when I had a water leak on the inlet manifold which led to a overheat. Inlet manifold was removed and I put new hosetails in. Then when refitting a stud broke in the head. So I whipped the head off and fitted all new studs. While the head was off I fitted new valve stem seals ,relapped the valves in and polished the ports and polished around the valves.
I used to be a toolmaker ;)
The broken liner wasn't visible then :(  seems it took a overheat till the red light come on to expose the damaged liner.
Anyone know wheres the cheapest place for liners ?  :D

Nrg

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11:13, Tue 25 September 2012 »
New internals ordered :)

Nrg

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19:14, Tue 25 September 2012 »
Happen to have the pleasure of running into someone called sparky from rtoc who pointed me in the right direction  :)

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09:06, Thu 11 October 2012 »
Welcome to the site, Sparky is a nice bloke, glad he's sent you in the right direction.. Looking at the pics the liners look shagged.. also make sure the rad is not blocked.

Nrg

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 00:55, Fri 12 October 2012 »
Yeah Sparky was a star :)
Thanks for the heads up I've got a brand new double copper core rad with low temp switch to go in.
Still cleaning the block ready for a fresh lick of paint. Will get there slowly but surely.