Author Topic: Phase 1 air cooled turbo coolant hose help needed please!  (Read 2117 times)

rumpelstiltskin

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
Phase 1 air cooled turbo coolant hose help needed please!
« on: 17:53, Sun 05 August 2012 »
I've just done all the welding on a Phase 1 gt turbo i bought a couple of months back,thought that was the hard part lol.Guy i bought it from deals with gt parts and i think this car i bought from him had been sitting for a while getting picked clean so it's a bit like doing a jigsaw without a picture!Problem is the way hoses that were there seemed to fall was both hoses from matrix to top of water pump,then all the rest,carb base ones etc were all intact,but,the header tank lower and upper outlets were left with nowhere to go?I then started to see pics of gt,s with the bottom hose of the header tank going to the front top outlet of the water pump,this then meant there was nowhere to put one of the heater matrix hoses lol,i've been going round in circles!
Then i thought maybe there was meant to be a degassing unit there.Had two phase 2 ones in my shed so tried to put one in place on the inner wing.The hoses fell naturally to one to the top of the header tank,one to the top outlet of the pump facing the windscreen,then one heading down towards the matrix,but,yet again top hose of matrix has nowhere to go!!Here's a pic of how i have it just now,i have arrowed the top matrix hose which now has nowhere to go.Anyone help?please!!

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: Phase 1 air cooled turbo coolant hose help needed please!
« Reply #1 on: 18:58, Sun 05 August 2012 »
I've only ever played with the Phase 2 setup, my header tank has 3 ports. 2 large ones on the bottom and 1 small one up top.

On mine one of the hoses from the heater matrix goes to the header tank.

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19:09, Sun 05 August 2012 »
This is a scan of what I think the Haynes book shows to be the Phase 1 setup.

Hope it helps in some way. Looks like the degassing pot is a phase 2 part.

rumpelstiltskin

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20:11, Sun 05 August 2012 »
Quote from: "Ash-Lee"
This is a scan of what I think the Haynes book shows to be the Phase 1 setup.

Hope it helps in some way. Looks like the degassing pot is a phase 2 part.

Yeah i've seen that diagram in my Haynes manual.But ,means nothing to my layout lol.That diagram is just too simple.There must be a couple of hoses that have to have T pieces on them somewhere as im all hoses and nowhere to put them! :D