Author Topic: Helllo  (Read 2637 times)

turbodave13

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
Helllo
« on: 21:39, Fri 29 June 2012 »
Hi everyone,

I am a previous R5 GTT owner who may like to renew a previous love!!

A few years ago I owned, amongst a lot of other hot hatches, a nice example of a diamond white `H` plater. Standard apart from, if i recall correctly, a cossie air-filter giving s**t loads of wastegate chatter.  :D

Unfortunately, I sold her for 700 with a blown rad (if i knew then, what it would be worth now......doh!!!)

Anyways, as i`m sure plenty of you can relate, i have grown up from thoughs early `00 glory days and now have kids and a wife in tow.

Unfortunately i dont have the cash to splash 3k+ on a nice standard example, so i was thinking about re-shelling a scrapper? I aint to bad with the spanners, (I have done a Nova 2.0 16v conversion in the past) but was wondering actually how much work is involved? Is it a cheaper option? I dont need a second car till mid-sept and i work a 4 on 4 off shift pattern so have a bit of time to complete.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Dave

dj_craig_

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: Helllo
« Reply #1 on: 12:01, Sat 30 June 2012 »
I imagine finding a decent shell would be hard, most ov them would need abit of work then you would need the other parts, engine, interior ect I would try and find a cheep complete car wich needs work theres always a few for sale I think sparkysparks as one for sale, dont no if that would be too much work for you. Welcome to the forum by the way :-)

turbodave13

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19:35, Sat 30 June 2012 »
Thanks for the welcome!!

I am trying to avoid as much body repair work as possible!! I`m alright on the mechanical/electrical side, but have found in the past that bodywork is where projects suck your cash dry!!!

I was planning to find a relatively mint standard 5 (1 Granny Owner from new, garaged all its life......yaada yaada), bare shell strip it down, then transplant all parts from a f****d GTT donor car.

I know this may seem like the hard way to do it, but I have time, just not much coin to throw at it.

Cheers Dave

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01:18, Sun 01 July 2012 »
I just saw a 19k mile Campus pop up in the for sale section for around 600.  :idea:

5campusturbo

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13:14, Sun 01 July 2012 »
reshellling is probably the cheaper option, if you cant afford a minter, many if not all sub 1000 Gt's will have some definite rust problems. Im reshelling one myself (slowly! i might add) but my donor GT was 120 and got a 43K Campus with FSH for 300. (topic in my sig)

If you do consider reshelling, Keep everything. you'll be suprised how much bits of trim, etc cost when you try to find one second hand.