Author Topic: torsion bar removal problems.  (Read 4255 times)

gt5rob

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
torsion bar removal problems.
« on: 21:32, Sun 27 May 2012 »
hi all, trying to return my 5 to it's origional ride height. took the rear shocks off and give the spline a good soak in wd40, tryed to remove the bar with a similar remove tool. didnt budge one bit, even give it a heat up (later reading i wasnt meant to), anyone got any ideas on how to get it out?

Any tips would be good

gareth

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
Re: torsion bar removal problems.
« Reply #1 on: 23:52, Tue 29 May 2012 »
get it on a bench with vice an hit the ends of with big hammer
youll get there

gt5rob

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13:52, Wed 30 May 2012 »
its still on the car  :lol:

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16:19, Wed 30 May 2012 »
Quote from: "gt5rob"

Get a larger bench/vice then.  :lol:

On a serious note, anyone you know have a slide hammer? That would be the best tool. I made some pulling contraption out of threaded bar and spacers etc a few years back when i played with mine.

I need to alter mine a bit TBH, i knew there was a reason why i can't seem to find the enthusiasm.

James5

• Test
  • Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17:25, Wed 30 May 2012 »
Quote from: "Ash-Lee"

Get a larger bench/vice then.  :lol:

On a serious note, anyone you know have a slide hammer? That would be the best tool. I made some pulling contraption out of threaded bar and spacers etc a few years back when i played with mine.

I need to alter mine a bit TBH, i knew there was a reason why i can't seem to find the enthusiasm.

I had a recent problem with a torsion bar on a valver (same setup as on a gtt) and the fecking thing would not come out on one side, I tried the normal socket, bolt, nut and washer method, didn't work i even tried a huge snap on slide hammer and nothing, I tried heating it up and the reapidly cooling and still no difference, I tried smacking it out with a huge sledge hammer and nothing, I even tried using a long bar and a jack under the car and the bar was still not budging, I even got some mates around whom had some muscle and they had no luck either in the end I broke the car for parts :lol:  (not for that reason though)

gt5rob

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08:14, Thu 31 May 2012 »
haha sounds like fun! the slide hammer we're using is pretty big, about 3ft of stud with a weight on the end, ended up injuring my arm  :lol: i've been giving it a good soak all this week and will give it another go this weekend. if it doesnt come out i dont know what i'll do, as its far too low.

James5

• Test
  • Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13:00, Thu 31 May 2012 »
haha sounds like fun! the slide hammer we're using is pretty big, about 3ft of stud with a weight on the end, ended up injuring my arm  :lol: i've been giving it a good soak all this week and will give it another go this weekend. if it doesnt come out i dont know what i'll do, as its far too low.

Worst case it's source another complete beam, fingers crossed for you I done all that aswell for weaks of soaking

gt5rob

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21:32, Thu 31 May 2012 »
really dont fancy getting a whole new beam  :lol: will have another crack at it this weekend!