Author Topic: running problems  (Read 1745 times)

jonnyshaw49

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
running problems
« on: 15:53, Mon 07 May 2012 »
hi guys not been on here in a while but just getting my car finished for the summer. had the car running yesterday perfect and blead the water as fan wasnt kicking in.the car was low on fuel though yesterday light was on.came back to it today and wouldnt start kept firing but wouldnt start .so took carb lobster off and sprayed in some carb cleaner and easy start and got it running. but was very lumpy and kept popping spluttering and backfiring, then would cut out. sounds like running on 3 cylinders. so i out 10 litres of fuel in emptied carb bowl took idle jet and main jet out and re started but still the same. thought some crap might have been sucked in as low on fuel. then i realised under the bleed nipple the dizzy(which is brandnew) had got wet. so cleaned out all the contacts and sprayed wd40 on. took dizzy cap off and noticed all the contacts inside had gone black possibly burnt from water arcing across?so i cleaned allthe contacts inside and started it up again, it now starts better but still sounds as running on 3 cylinders and im out of ideas?? any advice would be great!thanks

hydrotec78

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
Re: running problems
« Reply #1 on: 06:33, Mon 21 May 2012 »
Quote from: "jonnyshaw49"
hi guys not been on here in a while but just getting my car finished for the summer. had the car running yesterday perfect and blead the water as fan wasnt kicking in.the car was low on fuel though yesterday light was on.came back to it today and wouldnt start kept firing but wouldnt start .so took carb lobster off and sprayed in some carb cleaner and easy start and got it running. but was very lumpy and kept popping spluttering and backfiring, then would cut out. sounds like running on 3 cylinders. so i out 10 litres of fuel in emptied carb bowl took idle jet and main jet out and re started but still the same. thought some crap might have been sucked in as low on fuel. then i realised under the bleed nipple the dizzy(which is brandnew) had got wet. so cleaned out all the contacts and sprayed wd40 on. took dizzy cap off and noticed all the contacts inside had gone black possibly burnt from water arcing across?so i cleaned allthe contacts inside and started it up again, it now starts better but still sounds as running on 3 cylinders and im out of ideas?? any advice would be great!thanks

check that you have a spark to all of the plugs, if the car was running on all 4 before you played with the dissi and now it dosnt that could be your problem. sounds like you need a good service and a carb set up.
P T Auto\'s In partnership with B D Autosport.  
ptautos@btintenet.com
Pm for any tuning or repairs / servicing that you may need.

jonnyshaw49

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: running problems
« Reply #2 on: 20:09, Thu 28 June 2012 »
hi thanks for the reply cleaned all leads again and rotor arm contacts, also idle valve was glazed over so cleaned that and now it purrs away!