Author Topic: Bumpers?  (Read 3979 times)

gt5rob

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
Bumpers?
« on: 14:14, Fri 09 March 2012 »
hi all, i've just bought new bumpers for the 5 as they were both badly damaged and un-repairable, whats with everyone removing the bumper strips? just wondering, i dont like the look of the strips myself, whats your opinions?

Cheers

cosmicrayturbo

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
Re: Bumpers?
« Reply #1 on: 15:36, Fri 09 March 2012 »
I really like the OE look so would keep them. But there was a five on here a while back from N. Ireland I think, it was White and had been smoothed all over. At least I think it had, anyway I kept viewing the pictures of it as it did really look very sorted. It gave it a bit of an updated look and suited it well. The point I am trying to make is if your going to do it then do it all. Rub strips front and back, door locks, stickers, badges the lot. Change the indicators, fogs, rear light clusters and side repeaters for clear items and complete the look.

If I weren't going for the standard look the less is more ethos would be my choice. But as many will tell you it's a personal taste thing and they would be right too. :wink:
If you know of any links to sites that have any info on the pearly ones, pm please.

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16:18, Fri 09 March 2012 »
For what they are, there damn expensive to buy new.

If you don't like them then save your monies.

dj_craig_

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19:01, Fri 09 March 2012 »
I am thinking of buying both front and rear but as ash-lee says not cheap at all, I have seen a few sprayed same colour as rest of car wich is another option, cant decide if it would look right tho  :lol:

cosmicrayturbo

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 00:21, Sat 10 March 2012 »
robx1r that was his name. All very smoothed and neat looking. Well I liked it anyways 8)
If you know of any links to sites that have any info on the pearly ones, pm please.

gt5rob

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12:07, Sat 10 March 2012 »
cheers guys, i havnt seen a fully smoothed 5 yet, dont really like the look of the tailgate being smoothed out, but the bumpers that i have seen smoothed look pretty smart, i might end up smoothing them as the strips are pretty expensive for what they are, + i would need new ones as mine are abit butchered!

ben marks

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19:14, Sat 10 March 2012 »
I recently smoothed mine as i like the look to and again like everyone says the cost so much but i did spend a fair bit on fiber glass and filler to do both bumpers still waiting to be painted tho

gt5rob

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19:27, Sun 11 March 2012 »
yeah i've seen the cost of the strips on ebay, pretty expensive, need to fill a cool air feed in on the bumper so will do the strips at the same time  :wink:

gt alan

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13:57, Mon 12 March 2012 »
Quote from: "ben marks"
I recently smoothed mine as i like the look to and again like everyone says the cost so much but i did spend a fair bit on fiber glass and filler to do both bumpers still waiting to be painted though

Do you have any pics of when you filled them?

I'm wanting to fill mine in, but juat wasnt sure about the best way to tackle it

bigman

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12:18, Wed 21 March 2012 »

there you go only front bumper havnt got round to doing the rear one yet as it still in storage  :x

look at my build its pretty straight forward to do it