Author Topic: Rebuilding couple of 5 gt turbo engines,any tips?  (Read 1541 times)

rumpelstiltskin

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
Rebuilding couple of 5 gt turbo engines,any tips?
« on: 19:02, Tue 06 March 2012 »
Hi,i've worked on my own cars for years and i've just bought a large job lot of spares for my minging 86 gt turbo im going to restore.Included in all these spares i got from this guy was two complete engines.Been a while since i took on anything mechanically but im dying to get stuck into these engines and rebuild them.Can anyone give me any tips on rebuilding these wet liner engines?Anything to pay particular attention to?So far i've bought one full set of piston liners,pistons and rings.Plan on getting crank reground with oversize shells etc,new valves, so i want to do it right!:-)So,fire away if you have any good resources or tips?Cheers.

James5

• Test
  • Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: Rebuilding couple of 5 gt turbo engines,any tips?
« Reply #1 on: 08:10, Wed 07 March 2012 »
If it's your first time, just take your time doing it all make sure you have a haynes guide available for reference and torque setting's.  Don't mix up bearing caps keep them matched to the rods you removed and don't put them back on the wrong way either,  key to succesfull rebuild is patience matey just take your time any problems just message on the boards and we can give advise / assistance.