Author Topic: Brakes  (Read 3235 times)

Jeff Ninebar

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ninebarsoundsystem.com/.
Brakes
« on: 18:24, Mon 23 January 2012 »
my brake peddle is very light for the first 1-2 inches of travel, and there is not much feeling when the brakes start to bite unless i really push hard on the peddle, I want the peddle to have more resistance on the down stroke and bite a bit harder what can I do?

ben marks

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: Brakes
« Reply #1 on: 19:12, Mon 23 January 2012 »
try bleeding your brakes to remove any air bubbles but best way is to bleed all the way so that you get new brake fluid coming out of all the bleed nipples on your calipers starting from the furthest away from the master cylinder should give you a nicer pedal
brake fluid is hygroscopic which means it tends to absorb moisture over time which gives you a spongy feel, so if you get all the old out in all the brake lines should feel better, also check your cailper sliders as they can seize making only one pad work on the disc :shock:

Jeff Ninebar

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22:06, Mon 23 January 2012 »
cool, think i'll try bleeding them. have you any experience changing the brake lines to braided ones and does it make much difference in peddle feel?

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07:44, Tue 24 January 2012 »
I changed my front flexis for braided ones.

No massive difference for me TBH.

James5

• Test
  • Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08:35, Tue 24 January 2012 »
A new set of rubber ones will feel good.  good luck getting the old ones off if they haven't been touched for years can be a real bastard.  but as the guys have said above trying bleeding the brake's.

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08:48, Tue 24 January 2012 »
Be prepared to get some new rear calipers if you bleed them as the nipples quite often snap off.
Maybe some WD40/plusgas for a few days before you think about cracking them would help, maybe not, as I think the steel nipples react with the alloy & weld together over time....

Jeff Ninebar

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12:23, Tue 24 January 2012 »
I was looking round the car last week at the brakes whilst thinking about what to do with them, I noticed that someone has already snapped off the nipple on the left rear. So will have to buy a new one before bleeding  :cry:

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18:07, Tue 24 January 2012 »
Quote from: "Jeff Ninebar"
I was looking round the car last week at the brakes whilst thinking about what to do with them, I noticed that someone has already snapped off the nipple on the left rear. So will have to buy a new one before bleeding  :cry:
What a crapper, the bit I don't like is the handbrake cables, another shite job I'm afraid to say buddy :(

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18:38, Tue 24 January 2012 »
Yes, handbrake cables are a nightmare.

The metal sleeve on the end of the handbrake cable well and truly sticks itself to the brake caliper.

It could be a long day for you!

Jeff Ninebar

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19:30, Tue 24 January 2012 »
sounds like a good job I asked first, I can now plan having the car off the road for a couple of days when it all goes wrong  :lol: