Author Topic: b18ft conversion  (Read 4548 times)

Hurty

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
b18ft conversion
« on: 13:32, Mon 16 January 2012 »
I'm planning on getting my 5 back on the road this year and originally wanted to just go with the c1j lump that's in but i don't know if i can be bothered doing the jetting, i've looked at james's guide and it's still confusing as hell i'd consider getting it setup on a rolling road if possible but want someone who knows what they're doing, if someone could give me a brief overview of how carbs work on 5's i'd probably have a better understanding of how jetting etc works. I've also been considering putting a b18ft in so i can just get in the car and not have to worry constantly checking gauges i was wondering though what sort of work is needed on a b18ft to get over 200+ bhp? help would be appreciated ^_^

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: b18ft conversion
« Reply #1 on: 17:18, Mon 16 January 2012 »
The B18FT is a much more realiable and better built engine plus it has the bonus of having fuel injection.
To get them around the 200bhp mark it doesn't take too much to do, a case of bolting on some new items of other cars and then setting it up to make sure it fuels right. The basics will be a different camshaft (one from a Clio RSI works), T28 off 200SX, some Volvo T5 orange injectors, nice free flowing exhaust and better intercooler, de-limited ecu and your be getting close to the 200bhp with a it of boost too.

To explain how the carb work will take an age, there's alot to write and also how to tune them does take while to explain too. The knack is drilling or reducing the size of the right jets and not just increase the size of the main jet, it would take alittle while to do as you'll have to keep taking car for drive to see how it fuels and then mod it again.
I've been doing carbs for pretty much 10yrs mate and they finally have done my nut in, for me fuel injection is only way
BD Autosport - Renault 5 gt turbo tuning and repairs.

Hurty

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17:34, Mon 16 January 2012 »
I've got a garrett airesearch t28 on at the moment but i'm assuming it's a different flange comapred to the b18? i just want something i can jump in start and never be like am i going to overheat or blow something up. I might consider selling my engine as its done under 3k since its last rebuild. where can i go about finding a b18ft? i know what cars they're in just cba buying a whole car as i'd have no room, or well could possibly make room but you knowwww, mark you need super mod , you're ALWAYS first to reply. also will the standard ecu fuel upto around 200bhp if it's de restricted, efi parts does the service for 40 pound iirc

edit: how do you go about setting the fueling up on a b18ft mark?

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18:05, Mon 16 January 2012 »
Quote from: "Hurty"
I've got a garrett airesearch t28 on at the moment but i'm assuming it's a different flange comapred to the b18? i just want something i can jump in start and never be like am i going to overheat or blow something up. I might consider selling my engine as its done under 3k since its last rebuild. where can i go about finding a b18ft? i know what cars they're in just cba buying a whole car as i'd have no room, or well could possibly make room but you knowwww, mark you need super mod , you're ALWAYS first to reply. also will the standard ecu fuel upto around 200bhp if it's de restricted, efi parts does the service for 40 pound iirc

Yes your turbo will work on there, they all have the same mounting flanges but the housings will need rotating.

Best idea is to buy cheap working car to take everything you need out of it, that way you know everything is there and you have no need to hunt round for missing bits.
Once delimited the ecu will let you run higher boost, to make sure it fuels enough you fit the larger injectors and then tweek the AFM
Once again check the afr's when driving it then tweek the afm alittle bit at time to get it roughly right, on high boost using the standard ecus you'll need to make a bypass pipe past the AFM to trick it abit so it'll flow enough
BD Autosport - Renault 5 gt turbo tuning and repairs.

Hurty

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18:17, Mon 16 January 2012 »
Quote from: "markey mark (bd)"
Quote from: "Hurty"

Yes your turbo will work on there, they all have the same mounting flanges but the housings will need rotating.

Best idea is to buy cheap working car to take everything you need out of it, that way you know everything is there and you have no need to hunt round for missing bits.
Once delimited the ecu will let you run higher boost, to make sure it fuels enough you fit the larger injectors and then tweek the AFM
Once again check the afr's when driving it then tweek the afm alittle bit at time to get it roughly right, on high boost using the standard ecus you'll need to make a bypass pipe past the AFM to trick it abit so it'll flow enough

How do you go about tweeking the afm? does it involve soldering haha, and about making a bypass pipe what exactly do you mean by that, sorry to sound abit clueless but i am at the moment haha cheers for all your help though mark

hughesrobert13

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19:14, Mon 16 January 2012 »
Hia mate if I was you I would buy a complete car. I bought a engine off a guy on here shakes was his user name. Apparantley everything was there to put it straight into the r5. There are lots of bits missing that I need. And I now have to source things that I need as im going along doing the conversion. Its a headache tbh. And it would be cheaper in the long run to buy a car. I bought myn from shakes on here and when I relised there was parts missing and contacted him he ignored phone calls and messages even though he said he had the parts I needed. Wish I bought a car nw
Every day is a school day !