Author Topic: New from the North east  (Read 4283 times)

Shiney Bits

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
New from the North east
« on: 15:45, Sun 18 December 2011 »
Hi
I'm John
I've just joined today so thought I'd say hey.
Many years ago I owned an R5 and loved it.  I've been given one from a good friend who had it sitting in his garage for a few years after engine went due to the head cracking.  It's in a bit of a state but hopefully with your help I'd like to restore it to its former glory.
I've looked through the projects sections and there's some awesome builds on here so any help/advice would be awesome.

I'm heavily involved in the Jap car scene and currently own and build a 914HP Toyota Supra hoping to break the 1000HP mark after the winter.

Cheers
John

Shiney Bits

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
Re: New from the North east
« Reply #1 on: 17:06, Sun 18 December 2011 »
Heres a few pics of the onslaught ahead.

dj_craig_

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19:16, Sun 18 December 2011 »
God damn! they looks a lot ov work to be done there mate, hope you get it sorted all the same and welcome to the forum :-)

hughesrobert13

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19:18, Sun 18 December 2011 »
Nice project mate :-) should keep you buisy for a while
Every day is a school day !

hughesrobert13

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19:19, Sun 18 December 2011 »
Nice project mate :-) should keep you buisy for a while
Every day is a school day !

big@l

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19:43, Sun 18 December 2011 »
and I though I had a project on my hand!! where about are you, I am near Sedgefield Co.Durham. I am also new and have a little project on my hands too, but no where as near as mamouth a task as yourself.

welcome and hope you dont have too many headaches

Shiney Bits

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20:07, Sun 18 December 2011 »
Thanks for the welcome guys.  I'm in consett just north of Durham.  About 30 mins from Sedgefield.
The car isn't as bad as the pics show really.  The body is luckily pretty solid only a couple of small weld repairs are needed then it's all engine and cosmetic really.  
I just need to sort what I'm doing engine wise. I'm looking into the Volvo 440 turbo engine from what I've read it seems the best idea.

I am to be fair a bit of a serial modifier, so can't wait to get stuck into this really.
Here's a quick pic of the Supra I've just finished.

big@l

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19:08, Mon 19 December 2011 »
pretty swish ;)

dj_craig_

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20:46, Mon 19 December 2011 »
Supra looks mint mate, hope you get the 5 to the same standard :-)

Shiney Bits

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 00:14, Tue 20 December 2011 »
Cheers guys.  The Supra is on the front cover of Decembers issue of Jap performance.

I really can't wait to get stuck into the 5.  I really am passionate about these cars.  I've got a few funky ideas I want to try with it.  Hopefully it will turn out well and return it back to its former glory.  I know I've got my work cut out but I'm up for a new challenge, with all your help of course :D

philg

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08:54, Tue 20 December 2011 »
Im in newcastle, i have a b18ft volvo powered 5 gt turbo. I used to run jap stuff pulsar, 2 evos loved them, away from them now, but gts stay in the blood.

Im sure i saw pictures of your supra on a lad i knows phone, he is also an ex re 5 lad to called Johnny, he has a black supra as his daily, works at nestle, you may know him.

You have your work cut out but its so rewarding.

Im happy to show you my conversion and have a chat, the car is tucked up for winter now but give me a pm if you want a look.

I have pictures in my restoration thread to.

Get paid up on RTOC to  :D

Shiney Bits

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21:27, Tue 20 December 2011 »
Quote from: "philg"
Im in newcastle, i have a b18ft volvo powered 5 gt turbo. I used to run jap stuff pulsar, 2 evos loved them, away from them now, but gts stay in the blood.

Im sure i saw pictures of your supra on a lad i knows phone, he is also an ex re 5 lad to called Johnny, he has a black supra as his daily, works at nestle, you may know him.

You have your work cut out but its so rewarding.

Im happy to show you my conversion and have a chat, the car is tucked up for winter now but give me a pm if you want a look.

I have pictures in my restoration thread to.

Get paid up on RTOC to  :D

Mate that would be awesome, I'd love a look around the car, so would my son, thanks very much.
Yeah I know Johnny,  I was out with him on Saturday night, really nice guy.
I'll fire you a p.m and I'll check out your restoration thread.  Thanks again :D