Author Topic: problem with brakes  (Read 2369 times)

brainz

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
problem with brakes
« on: 18:21, Wed 22 February 2012 »
hi

has anybody come across this problem before? hopefully someone can help.

earlier today my brakes decided to stop working,the last few days when i release the handbrake its made a click sound like the rear brakes are a bit sticky, today when i went out the brake pedal went all the way to the floor,if  i pump it a few times the pedal will go hard the brakes do work just not as they should,usually the harder you press the brakes the the quicker they will stop but now it doesnt matter how hard i press, the brakes are barely there  :!:  the handbrake is the same , i can drive with it on but you can feel a slight nip,also the brake lights dont come on anymore, to begin with i thought the handbrake cable snapped but it hasnt,then i checked the brake fluid and its fine, no leaks or anything.

i have a feeling its something really simple,maybe need bleeding? would that really stop the brake lights from working? someone said it could be the brake master cylinder, hope not that sounds serious.

if anybody knows anything about this any advice would be very appreciated cheers.

oh yeah its a 1994  1.4 campus.

hughesrobert13

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
Re: problem with brakes
« Reply #1 on: 19:26, Wed 22 February 2012 »
start with the basics mate check pads diks etc make sure they are all working fine. as for the brake lights i would say its just a coincidence they stoped working or they been gone a while and you havent noticed untill now
Every day is a school day !

brainz

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13:55, Sat 25 February 2012 »
thanks for replying  :D

i have had a little look around the car front brakes are fine, brake lights are now working,cant see any leaks, when i went to check rear shoes, i couldnt remove the drum cover  :roll:  usually theres a screw holding it on but theres nothing there anybody knows how to get it off?.

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16:48, Sat 25 February 2012 »
Quote from: "brainz"
thanks for replying  :D

i have had a little look around the car front brakes are fine, brake lights are now working,cant see any leaks, when i went to check rear shoes, i couldnt remove the drum cover  :roll:  usually theres a screw holding it on but theres nothing there anybody knows how to get it off?.

Drum brakes are a nightmare. Usually you do the following.

1. Remove hub nut.
2. There is usually an inspection hole on the face of the drum, you might have to back off a small ratchet to slacken the shoes inside.
3. I then re-fit the wheel.
4. Grab the wheel and give it a good shake and pull and hope the drum just pops off.

brainz

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16:17, Mon 27 February 2012 »
right i had somebody look at the car, this time when we went out, there was a puddle of brake fluid by the rear drivers side wheel, the problem is the wheel cylinder, needs replacing and the brake shoes have come apart (you can hear them rattle when the drum is turned) when i went to order the parts they asked if its bendix or lucas , so i went and had a look, i couldnt see any writing on the rear drum so i looked at the front wheel and on the back of the caliper it says girling, i have not got a clue what to ask for when ordering the parts, is girling, lucas, bendix or something completely different, also if it says girling on the front the back would be the same?  :oops:

cheers for the replies, ash the wheel drum popper thingy is gonna come in handy.

hughesrobert13

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21:04, Mon 27 February 2012 »
should say on the wheel cylinders what make they are. most parts places should be able to get the right parts from the reg. if your unsure take your old parts to a motor factors and get them to match them. if your close to me i have just removed a campuss rear axle off my car complete with good brakes you can have it if your willing to collect it if not the scrap man will be takeing it
Every day is a school day !