Author Topic: b18ft into a r5 help needed  (Read 5609 times)

hughesrobert13

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
b18ft into a r5 help needed
« on: 20:13, Sun 04 December 2011 »
Hi guys I am currently doing the volvo 1.7 conversion. And need help / advice.
1. What engine mount do I need ?
2. Do the y shaped gear box mount have to be used because it dont look like it fits.
3. Do I need to use both parts of the volvo loom ? The ignition and fueling ?  
4. Drive belt is it just crank water pump and alternator ? What drive belt do I need ?
5. Is it straight forward to fit the volvo loom to the 5 ?
6. I have a t28 turbo from a 200 sx the outlet that goes to the cooler fouls the water pipe that comes from the head. Is there a way around this.
7. Do I need to use the recirc dump valve ?
8. Where can I get a flange for the turbo to down pipe ? Thats about all I can think of at the moment. I just need as much info as I can get. Some nice pics of the engine bay would be nice too so I can see what way people have done it :-) cheers rob
Every day is a school day !

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: b18ft into a r5 help needed
« Reply #1 on: 20:47, Sun 04 December 2011 »
Hi guys I am currently doing the volvo 1.7 conversion. And need help / advice.
1. What engine mount do I need ?  Its the GTX engine mount or drilled gt one
2. Do the why shaped gear box mount have to be used because it dont look like it fits. No bin that
3. Do I need to use both parts of the volvo loom ? The ignition and fueling ?  You need the complete engine loom for the Volvo engine, but you will use some of the original 5 loom too
4. Drive belt is it just crank water pump and alternator ? What drive belt do I need ? Can't remember size but its same as GTX belt
5. Is it straight forward to fit the volvo loom to the 5 ? Fairly simple if knownwhere wires go, just case of connection up about 5 wires
6. I have a t28 turbo from a 200 sx the outlet that goes to the cooler fouls the water pipe that comes from the head. Is there a way around this. rotate the compressor housing round so outlet points up
7. Do I need to use the recirc dump valve ? not really neccessarily
8. Where can I get a flange for the turbo to down pipe ? ebay normally
Thats about all I can think of at the moment. I just need as much info as I can get. Some nice pics of the engine bay would be nice too so I can see what way people have done it :-) cheers rob
BD Autosport - Renault 5 gt turbo tuning and repairs.

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21:01, Sun 04 December 2011 »
Heres pic of my engine even though its not quite finished (bit more done since pic)

Heres my mates Tanks which i've pretty much finished too

hughesrobert13

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21:10, Sun 04 December 2011 »
Cheers mark your a gent :-) 1 problem lol the turbo is the way you said to rotate it. Is it just a case of loosening the bolts and turning the houseing a little ?

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21:12, Sun 04 December 2011 »
Quote from: "hughesrobert13"
Cheers mark your a gent :-) 1 problem lol the turbo is the way you said to rotate it. Is it just a case of loosening the bolts and turning the houseing a little ?

Yeah undo the bolts holding housing on and rotate them round, only have to loosen them not take them out. Make sure core sits upright, housings can sit where they want.

hughesrobert13

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21:16, Sun 04 December 2011 »
Thanks mate :-) what exhaust manifold you running on yours ? Btw looks real smart

hughesrobert13

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21:50, Sun 04 December 2011 »
Also what throttle cable must I use ? Im sure there will be loads of questions to come

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20:02, Tue 06 December 2011 »
The manifold on mine is custom made so it positiooned my turbo over gearbox, there was no where else for it to go wouldn't go down back.

I have used the 5 gt cable, i modified the linkage on the throttle body so it accepted the 5 cable