Author Topic: A bargain or a headache...  (Read 10306 times)

SyGTT

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
A bargain or a headache...
« on: 14:15, Tue 29 November 2011 »
Hi, I'm Sy, I'm 25 and from North Notts. Been reading in the background for a little while and i thought i'd make use of the account and post my story so far..

I bought an 89 tungsten GTT for 120 off a mate who had had it sat on his drive for a year (the second time this time round, couple other lads on the estate had owned this one too.)

My mate bought it originally as never tracked, raced etc for 800 i think about 4 years ago. he only did about 10 miles or less in it before it went offroad for ages after he overheated it. he sold it on to another lad down the road who promptly had a little accident or something in it as the back passenger corner is all out of shape. some how my mate got it back again and it sat on the drive again ( I'm saving it, I'm gonna restore it he says)

As it stands now its a bit of a mess to be frank. ill let the photos show you all..
They are a little out of order, ome before and after bodykit off shots. and a big pile of rust i kicked out of the sills too lol.

Ive bought a 95 campus 1.4 to steal some panels and bits from. might end up as a complete reshell yet. i'll post some photos of that one another time. its tungsten aswell.

Ive always wanted a gtt, never thought i would own one. and now i do. pity it needs a summers work. but that might turn into a winters work as while writing this post ive just found out im out of a job.  :/ watch this space lol

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: A bargain or a headache...
« Reply #1 on: 17:53, Tue 29 November 2011 »
A lot of work, but anythings possible. Cut the rot out and see what your left with.

Numberplate is fitting.....To Be Continued.  :lol:

SyGTT

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11:37, Wed 30 November 2011 »
Yeah, TBC lol i thought that myself. i think i know already that its gonna be a reshell job. time will tell :)

It does run but the water pump doesnt seem to be working. and it needs the usual under bonnet bits sorting, heat shields, few bits of melted wiring etc :eek: but it is all complete and pretty standard apart from the actuator being wound out...

The campus cost 300, and has had sills and a few bits done, needs front bumper points and inner wings looking at. but nothing major as far as i can see.

cant see much being done this side of xmas. ive just garaged the gtt as there is lots of bare metal from the corner being smashed in :)

Hurty

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17:51, Wed 30 November 2011 »
120 is a bargain even if it does have rot, man i need to stop smoking could buy that after a few days quitting haha

SyGTT

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18:41, Wed 30 November 2011 »
I think i paid about the scrap value tbh. He couldnt even tell me if it would run :)
It definatley helped that he had a late mk1 golf cab sat on the street and the 5 taking up driveway space :)

5campusturbo

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
##### UPDATE #####
« Reply #5 on: 23:13, Thu 15 March 2012 »
Hello again all, I am SyGTT but i lost my login info, so i signed up again. Ill update the story here now.

Ive started work on reshelling the car on monday (being unemployed has its perks) the weather has been a litte bit kinder and i thought it about time i did something with it.

Started on the interior first, took out the GTT's Front seats/door cards/sun visors and bolted them into the campus, Campus front seats and rear with rear belts, 45,000 miles wear. up for grabs:) Im not transfering the Electric windows I dont think the wiring is there for it in the campus anyway and plugging elecs in and out is about my limit unless its a PC lol)

Transferred the Centre console/Phillips old school tape deck/gaiter and knob over aswell. Bloody Campus rubber gearknob took an age to get off, resorted to a carving knife in the end :)

Removed the GTT dash pane but not transferred that over yet, need to get a couple of bulbs that were missing, and managed to break off a resistor from the back while ferreting about blind under the dash to get leverage :/

# Note to self. Find out about dash panel conversion.

GTT steering wheel is off, however ive no idea how to get the boss off, Ive undone the 19mm nut inside the boss but its stiffer than bill clinton during spring break. Im sure brute force will prevail.
Im leaving the red carpet in the old shell, I'll buy new eventually, its filthy and ripped and would spoil the whole look inside, The campus carpet is is good nick and black carpet doesnt look too bad either..

Exterior wise, a few changes too, Campus plastics off, Rear GTT bumper is on, GTT mirrors/and rain gutters. Strangely the gutters on the 89 GTT where in much better nick that the 95 campus.
GTT pop out rear windows are in. pair of campus windows up for grabs (ill list lots of bits once i hit 20 posts.)
Colour coded plastics above rear lights are on, the ones under the lights need spraying. my GTT ones were crap. Spoiler will be going on shortly, as well as the Speedline Monte Carlo alloys. I need to get some glue for the spoiler as the old clips were rusted to hell.

Skirts and front bumper will have to wait for now, i want to sort out a little surface rust on the sills and give it a fresh coat of underpaint before the skirts go on and the Front bumper mounts and a small portion of the inner wings on the campus are pretty flaky atm, i dont want to make it any worse at this stage.

Body wise the Campus aint too bad, just inner wing/bumper mounts, bit of a shitty repair under windscreen on drivers side, bit of flaky paint/rust under the sill near front wheel, couple of 50p sized surface rusts under boot carpet and a 2p spot inside one of the rear arches near the rear light fixing. I can live with that for 300, ~45,000 with full service history.

So. Total spent so far.

GTT was 120 + 20 delivery + 5 unleaded to go in tank to get her running.
Campus was 300 + 10er juice to get her back from Kingsbury, nr Birmingham

Ive sold the rear seats for 50,  they were in fairly good nick, few water stains and dog hair but cleaned up nice. and Gumtree Pete from Bolton got a bargain for his phase1.

that comes in at 405 spent for both cars so far.

I wont be needing rear seats as i intend on having a Roll cage at a later date and rear passengers are not allowed in my 5 lol. (At the end of the day its a mid 90's french tin box with a turbo strapped on, and the door skins are thinner than Durex. Im a pussy and I dont want to die should I wrap it round a post one day. :) )

Weather permitting, engine will be coming out weekend after next. Will be fitting new inlet manifold core plug, attempting the renew some fried wiring and trying to track down what the the coke can shaped sensor that T's off the intercooler to carb pipe and has air pipe to Anti perc? on the other side of it. The 2 pin wiring connection underneath it is FUBAR.

then hopefully i'll be able to figure out what if anything is actually wrong with the engine internally. Ive only run it previously for about 10-20 secs as with the core plug damaged and the water pump kaputski (will be replacing with the campus one) i didnt want to push my luck. But it sounded ok when it did run, smelt of fuel and a little smoky but we put oil down the bores to free the engine up so thats to be expected.

I apologise for the lack of images, Ill take some upto date pics in the day tomorrow. I just had to get this all wrote down now :)

Admin/Mods - Would you move this topic to projects section please. Its probably better off there now :)

hughesrobert13

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18:05, Fri 16 March 2012 »
that was a good read sounds like you got a bargain there  :D  keep up the hard work mate while you can i am  consently in work and i never have time to do anything to my campus  :x
Every day is a school day !

5campusturbo

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14:23, Sat 17 March 2012 »
updated photo's as promised.

GTT sure does look sorry for its self...

5campusturbo

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13:00, Thu 22 March 2012 »
small update. Got both dashboards out now [never again]
Anyone got any tips for swapping the looms over?

small_all@hotmail.com

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08:51, Fri 23 March 2012 »
i think its just a case of pull the campus one out and poke the gtt one back,

when ever u take looms out that run through the chassis or up to the aerial or any other tricky places, trie to remember to tie a piece of cord to the one end, that way u can tie the new end to the string and pull it through, i find its easer that trying to poke it with a crappy bit of stick or wire  :wink:
My cars only as fast as the people pushing it

chillin... chillin....... chillin.........boooOOOOOOST

5campusturbo

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11:11, Sat 24 March 2012 »
Cheers for the reply dude, I'll keep that in mind :]

5campusturbo

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12:02, Sun 01 April 2012 »
little update.
Pretty self explanatory :]

5campusturbo

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12:15, Sun 01 April 2012 »
Can anyone ID this part please?

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22:25, Sun 01 April 2012 »
Weird solenoid type thingy bob? (That's its proper name I am sure!)

It's related to the anti-perc fan setup. Not needed.

5campusturbo

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10:50, Mon 02 April 2012 »
cheers. :]