Author Topic: seized engine?  (Read 3625 times)

big@l

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
seized engine?
« on: 21:08, Tue 15 November 2011 »
Ok lads, My 5 which has been tucked away in the garage for the last 9 years doing nothing has finally had some work done to it, long story short... new starter motor fitted tonight and the engine wont crank over :(

so do any of you lads think that it is seized? big question I know, or do you think that like most things that have sat in the same place for 9 years have just gone a little tight.

Do you think it may be worthwhile towing it slowly in gear just to try and turn everything over or  would that do more damage?

any help appreciated

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: seized engine?
« Reply #1 on: 21:12, Tue 15 November 2011 »
Stick a 19mm socket and bar on the bottom pulley and try crank engine that way mate, if it doesn't put some oil/wd40 down the bores to try free it off
BD Autosport - Renault 5 gt turbo tuning and repairs.

big@l

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21:15, Tue 15 November 2011 »
Quote from: "markey mark (bd)"
Stick a 19mm socket and bar on the bottom pulley and try crank engine that way mate, if it doesn't put some oil/wd40 down the bores to try free it off

Cheers Mark = legend

Al

hughesrobert13

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21:24, Tue 15 November 2011 »
The 5 I bought was stood for 16 years. engine seized turbo seized clutch was siezed too. I removed the plugs and when I seen how corroded it was inside I didnt bother to do anymore. I would say the bores was full of water for them 16 years lol
Every day is a school day !

big@l

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21:31, Tue 15 November 2011 »
Quote from: "hughesrobert13"
The 5 I bought was stood for 16 years. engine seized turbo seized clutch was siezed too. I removed the plugs and when I seen how corroded it was inside I didnt bother to do anymore. I would say the bores was full of water for them 16 years lol

oh that sounds terminal that- another R5 to the R5 grave yard :(

Mark if your still on, have just nipped into the garage and done that, engine is lovely and free, so no probs there then. All I am getting is a click at the starter and that is it, remind me is there just the 2 wires to the starter motor, the spade connector to the solenoid and then the larger connection that is bolted on by the 13mm nut.

Any ideas? thanks again

hughesrobert13

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21:45, Tue 15 November 2011 »
Quote from: "big@l"
Quote from: "hughesrobert13"

oh that sounds terminal that- another R5 to the R5 grave yard :(

Mark if your still on, have just nipped into the garage and done that, engine is lovely and free, so no probs there then. All I am getting is a click at the starter and that is it, remind me is there just the 2 wires to the starter motor, the spade connector to the solenoid and then the larger connection that is bolted on by the 13mm nut.

Any ideas? thanks again

Sounds like a bad earth. Clean all the earths and try again. Or u could use jump leads as a temporary earth. Connect to battery neggative and engine/gearbox. And body to engine/ box just to c if it turns over.

big@l

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22:07, Tue 15 November 2011 »
Ok will try that tomoz

thanks for your time buddy

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22:23, Tue 15 November 2011 »
If it's been sat for so long would it not be worth just putting a drop of oil down the bores anyway?

Then turn it over by the crank, or unplug the ignition and crank it over on the starter (when it's working).

Probably a good idea to turn it over on the starter for a bit to push some oil around.

hughesrobert13

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22:38, Tue 15 November 2011 »
Yeah it would be a good idea to get some oil around the engine before running it may me worth doing a oil and filter change too.

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16:13, Wed 16 November 2011 »
If the starter is just clicking its either bad battery, bad connection going to starter, bad earth or the starter is on its way out
BD Autosport - Renault 5 gt turbo tuning and repairs.

big@l

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22:18, Sun 20 November 2011 »
Just a quick update,

got the engine cranked over today...yay, left the main +ve direct from the battery off the starter, so no chance of it starting with out that connected  :oops: ....numpty,

so the next task is to get it fired up! need a few more bits yet before that will happen though

thanks for all your help so far

Al

hughesrobert13

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20:32, Mon 21 November 2011 »
Good to hear :-) wont take much to get it running

big@l

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21:05, Mon 21 November 2011 »
hopefully not  :)

PROC

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20:50, Mon 28 November 2011 »
Watched a classic car prog other day and they put car in 4th gear and push it back and forth to see if bottom pulley moves , they also take out plugs and squirt wd40 down each plug hole , they use straw on can and do 10 quick squirts in each , also if its been stood so long , petrol could have gone off (lost its octane) , so best to empty tank and put some new in