Author Topic: Starter motor locating dowel  (Read 1918 times)

big@l

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
Starter motor locating dowel
« on: 18:36, Sun 13 November 2011 »
HI folks, I have got a new starter for my car....well almost new and I need some help and advice. I have read on here about the locating dowel.

1 what is it for?
2 will it work without it?
3 can you get them new or have to use the old 1?

I can see the dowel on the old starter but it has oxidised in the housing, I have poured some release oil around it and will leave it for a few days but wondered if any of you more experienced guys can answer my questions above

thanks in advance Al

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: Starter motor locating dowel
« Reply #1 on: 19:09, Sun 13 November 2011 »
Quote from: "big@l"
HI folks, I have got a new starter for my car....well almost new and I need some help and advice. I have read on here about the locating dowel.

1 what is it for?
2 will it work without it?
3 can you get them new or have to use the old 1?

I can see the dowel on the old starter but it has oxidised in the housing, I have poured some release oil around it and will leave it for a few days but wondered if any of you more experienced guys can answer my questions above

thanks in advance Al

The dowel is there to locate the starter in the correct posititon so the teeth mesh nicely with the flywheel, if its in the wrong position you'll have chance o the teeth grinding.
It could work without it but would take abit of moving about to get starter in correct position
Yiu can still get them new but have ago at getting the old one out first, i find giving it a twist with some grips gets it moving.
BD Autosport - Renault 5 gt turbo tuning and repairs.

big@l

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
Re: Starter motor locating dowel
« Reply #2 on: 20:11, Sun 13 November 2011 »
Thank you very much sir :)