Author Topic: snapped crankshaft  (Read 3471 times)

hughesrobert13

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
snapped crankshaft
« on: 20:46, Wed 09 November 2011 »
Hi guys just stripped my mrs golf tdi 150 pd engine. It siezed for some unknown reason. First thing I done was removed no 4 end cap furthest from the oil pump. There was no damage at no 4. So I removed no 3 end cap once I removed it I could see that the bearings have spun and the crank have snapped. Any ideas what would have caused this. Cheers rob
Every day is a school day !

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: snapped crankshaft
« Reply #1 on: 21:41, Wed 09 November 2011 »
Lack of oil would be my first thought
BD Autosport - Renault 5 gt turbo tuning and repairs.

hughesrobert13

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22:09, Wed 09 November 2011 »
Its always had plenty of oil. And always the right oil. It had an engine rebuild around 20 thousand miles ago done buy a company that rebuilds engines. Im going to give them a ring first thing tomorrow. Il get the head off on the weekend and get the rest of the engine apart to see if I can find what when wrong. It just doesnt make sense

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23:02, Wed 09 November 2011 »
Even with the correct oil level there might not have been enough pressure.

If it's been rebuilt it could be a number of things, wrong sized bearings for a start etc etc.

EDIT : Allthough it has already survived 20K miles. Maybe something else gave up. I spun a shell on my 205 and that was oil starvation. Didn't notice until the red light came on but by then it was to late.

hughesrobert13

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11:49, Thu 10 November 2011 »
Surely if it was oil starvation the other bearings would be damaged. Maybe theres an underlying problem somewhere

ben marks

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20:53, Thu 10 November 2011 »
Is it a turbo engine did it smoke could have hydrauliced all tho often just bends a conrod or put in 1st or reverse at high speed. again tho cank normaly ok if this is done

hughesrobert13

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11:24, Fri 11 November 2011 »
Yeah its a turbo lump. As soon as I get some time to strip it I will. Its my partners car and she doesnt drive it that hard to be fair

danboi2

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12:10, Fri 11 November 2011 »
why was it rebuilt in the first place? and was new or second hard parts used?

hughesrobert13

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14:34, Fri 11 November 2011 »
It had a very little knocking noise comeing from the engine that lead to destruction. It was rebuilt by an engineering firm through the garage we bought the car from. I know it had new rods, pistons, crank regrind, oil pump turbo water pump timing belt. It had loads done to be fair

Big Supes

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19:24, Wed 16 November 2011 »
A baffled sump wouldn't hurt for good measure, next time.

hughesrobert13

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20:15, Wed 16 November 2011 »
Quote from: "Big Supes"
A baffled sump wouldn't hurt for good measure, next time.

There wont be a next time lol my mrs thinks its jinxed with the amount av shit we have had from it over the years. It will av another motor fitted then it will be sold to the next lucky person who wants to buy it :-)

Big Supes

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22:01, Wed 16 November 2011 »
Quote from: "hughesrobert13"
There wont be a next time lol my mrs thinks its jinxed with the amount av shit we have had from it over the years. It will av another motor fitted then it will be sold to the next lucky person who wants to buy it :-)

Shame, man. Sorry to hear that. I've been there with my old S13 200SX. No matter how many things I sorted out, another thing would break. The gear box was the final straw before I ended up breaking it.

hughesrobert13

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22:13, Wed 16 November 2011 »
My mate in work has a s13. I just fitted a welded diff to it be a right handfull when its bk on the road just shy of 300 horses. We avnt had many mechanical problems with the golf to be fair. Just the day she had it brake pedal when to the floor we had loads of electical problems with it then the engine blew up all within the first month of owning it then it was bumped several times had a new front bumper and headlights twice never anything serious. She parked it outside the house one day and didnt pull the handbrake up enough and it rolled down the street new tailgate bumpes and repair wheel well. And pretty much every time she drives it some one will pull out in front of you or nearly hit you. And its very rarely her fault im in the car with her most of the time and it is as if it is cursed. Weired I tell u lol