Author Topic: external wastegates?  (Read 2201 times)

Hurty

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
external wastegates?
« on: 13:59, Tue 29 November 2011 »
What's the deal with them i've heard they're hard to setup? seen adapters on ebay that go between the turbo and mani with a 38mm flange for wastegate, is it just a case of removing your actuator and getting the wastegate penny sealed up or buying a different turbine housing and setting it to fuel based on what psi spring you have? some god like man help :mrgreen:

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: external wastegates?
« Reply #1 on: 16:17, Tue 29 November 2011 »
An external watsegate is basically an actuator but instead of opening a penny flap on back of turbo it vents exhaust gasses out from the manifold through a screamer pipe.
There not hard to set up, just can cost alittle to fit as the penny on the turbine housing will need welding up and the external adaptor flange welding to the manifold.

If you fit adatptor in between turbo and manifold remember your be pushing turbo too far other so downpipe and oil feed lines will need extending
BD Autosport - Renault 5 gt turbo tuning and repairs.

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17:42, Tue 29 November 2011 »
What, if any gains can be had by setting up external wastegates?

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17:43, Tue 29 November 2011 »
Quote from: "Ash-Lee"
What, if any gains can be had by setting up external wastegates?

Controls boost better and gets rid of boost spikes

Hurty

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19:29, Tue 29 November 2011 »
I see what you mean about extending oil lines etc my friend should be making me a 1 piece downpipe soon anyway so i'll try get the wastegate installed beforehand, i did see a turbine housing with a flange for a 44mm wastegate but i've only heard of people running 38mm's? deffo want to whip one on

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20:28, Tue 29 November 2011 »
You shouldn't have to go 44mm if you was going for one, i would say unless you need to control high boost you'd be fine with normal actuator its abit of an expense to fit one just to have one

Hurty

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10:42, Wed 30 November 2011 »
I was planning on running over 20psi, hopefully anyway. I know it may be costly but it's just something a little different, I'm keeping my 5 standard on the outside and i've recently got a full set of raider seats for 150 quid and they're in good nick, My turbo could do with a recon soon as i've noticed abit of in and out play which sucks :oops: so i was just thinking of getting the penny welded up during the recon etc and just going with an ext wg.