Author Topic: newbie  (Read 2947 times)

big@l

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« on: 20:32, Sat 29 October 2011 »
Hi folks, I'm new here so be gentle with me :)   so I have a 1990 R5, and it has been tucked away in my garage for the last 9 yrs and have now decided to do something with it. I have been fettling with it for the last couple of months now and today was the big day...trying to start her......didn't go as well as I'd hoped, looked all over for the starter motor and found it buried at the back of the engine, who thought it was a good place to put it there :( , took me ages to work out where the mounting bolts were too. There is nothing easy to get to on these little beauties. So looks like my starter is knackered, found the winding open circuit so I am on the look out for another starter....thank goodness for that well known online auction site,

I will keep you posted on my progress

Big@l

dj_craig_

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: newbie
« Reply #1 on: 21:09, Sat 29 October 2011 »
Welcome to the forum mate :-)

big@l

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22:04, Sat 29 October 2011 »
cheers buddy

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22:09, Sat 29 October 2011 »
Welcome to the site.

If the cars been stood for so long the starter might be stuck. Belt it with something (technical i know) and see if it loosens up.

big@l

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22:39, Sat 29 October 2011 »
Cheers Ash,

got lights but didn't even get a "click" at the starter, got voltage to the solenoid wire 12V's, so I eventually managed to get the starter off the car and I have a circuit through the actual starter windings but the solenoid is open circuit, I tried to strip the solenoid itself but it looks like a sealed unit...so a new starter is required

have been trawling the site and there is a lot of useful stuff on here so thanks

Alex

bazr5gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06:31, Mon 31 October 2011 »
welcome to the forum mate  :D

big@l

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19:03, Mon 31 October 2011 »