Author Topic: Hesitation at 3k rpm!  (Read 5303 times)

s3irios

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
Hesitation at 3k rpm!
« on: 22:05, Mon 17 October 2011 »
Hello everybody YET again! Started a new post  for this since the previous one had another main isue that resolved,

After i had the car's valves adjusted, i put new plugs ngk b8evx too.Carbs idle was adjusted too(too low so i adjusted it again :S). From that time i had an issue while on the road and while passing the 3k rp mark. It hesitated heavily, not banged or anything, just holding back a lot. Had another issue at the time as i mention above with the temp staying really cool on the whole way. Thought it hesitated cause of low temp BUT i fixed the temp problem by installing the missing thermostat and the hesitation remains.
 Just for general info the turbo (t25) starts spooling at the 3k rpm mark, thought that the turbo was stalled, but after some checking i heard the turbo spooling while the hesitation occured so it's not the turbo.

I didn't check the plugs gap, but i think they have the right gap from the company? I didn't drop or hit any of them so i didn't had anything to do with the gap at all.

Another thing along with this is that the car feels a bit hard while cold and on idle, though when warm it works just fine on idle.

andybond

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hesitation at 3k rpm!
« Reply #1 on: 22:10, Mon 17 October 2011 »
Random question - but do you have an AFR on the car ?

s3irios

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22:27, Mon 17 October 2011 »
Nope not yet! Planning to though.
THe whole thing started after the valve clearance adjusting and the new plugs.
+ forgot to mention: Carbs idle was adjusted too(too low so i adjusted it again :S) I need to emntion that carb had a refurbish like 9 months ago by me, cleaned etc but it sad till 3 months ago that i started using it for main car.

andybond

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22:30, Mon 17 October 2011 »
I found my AFR was useful in diagnosing my fault ..

However , as you dont have one , lets look again.

What gaps did you set your plugs too ?
What plugs ?

s3irios

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22:32, Mon 17 October 2011 »
ngk b8evx but i didn't check gap at all, thought it comes ready, as these sparks only come out for the r5!

andybond

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22:41, Mon 17 October 2011 »
I check mine because I am pedantic. I have never found any out mind.

are you running more boost / less boost / carb mods  ?

s3irios

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22:45, Mon 17 October 2011 »
Cup mod, 13psi of boost via actuator,  haven't messed with the jets since i dont run any more boost, but i don't  know if previous owner did. But anyway as i said problems started after the small service i did. Did check for leaks on hoses, everything looks ok, didn't do super thorough check though.

andybond

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22:52, Mon 17 October 2011 »
Strange one.

Only other thing that I would be looking at before asking for help myself is the pipework around the FPR. Is it ok ?  I would expect it to mis and bang mind.

Daft one - but the idle mix screw hasnt got a snapped head has it ?

s3irios

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22:54, Mon 17 October 2011 »
Fpr?
Idle screw looks ok since i used it to adjust the mixture.

andybond

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22:55, Mon 17 October 2011 »
Sorry mate ,

Fuel Pressure Regulator.

Whip the screw all the way out and eyeball it ..

s3irios

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22:58, Mon 17 October 2011 »
Yeah pipes there look fine. I'll remove the screw tomorow then, ty m8 for all the help till now.

s3irios

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21:08, Tue 18 October 2011 »
Ok so removed idle screw and the needle above it and cleaned them. A bit of dirt nothing serious. Removed and put from start spark plugs cables, cleaned them too. Found a serious air leak from  carb top plenum, it wasn't sealing properly at all since the handmade rubber i had there was split. redone idle adjustments.

Till now all problems sorted. I'm waiting to report later that i'll leave from job so it's gonna be cold and want to check it then too.

woohoo the leak was so big (didn't seem like that) that i felt imidiate change on boosts. Car much more responsive and more powerful throught the rev range. Don't wanna get too happy so i'll wait for the test in a while.

Sorry for the big posts and with all the details, i'm doing it to help others too that will have same issues and gonna search the forum to get answers. I fixed MANY problems this way, just by reading the process of others problems.

andybond

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21:28, Tue 18 October 2011 »
Excellent idea to post as much detail as possible.

I always try and chip in to add a few bits in case anyone overlooks something ..

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23:17, Tue 18 October 2011 »
Hopefully the problem is fixed.

I have one idea, if the problem only started after changing your plugs. Check the HT leads all have good connections and in good condition.

My neighbours Polo had a missfire, one HT lead was slightly split and was arcing on the rocker cover. Could only see it in the dark! Enough to make it run really bad though.

s3irios

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 00:25, Wed 19 October 2011 »
Well problems still there :S. Car is running better since the things i did today, but the not so soft idle and the hesitation at 3k persists :S .

I'm wearing silicon leads i don't think they could have anything like that Ash-Lee, BUT it's a good idea and i'll check it again tomorrow. Cleaned them today though.

One thing i did 4-5 days ago and i remembered it now, was that i cleaned the dizzy cap inside "gently" with a screwdriver (yes i know that "gently" and "screwdriver" don't go together :P ) meaning just removed softly the dark spots on the copper endings and cleaned them surface. Same thing did to the inside rotor thingy. (i luck the name of it) Could i have damaged them?

Since my mechanic is available Monday, till then  i can't check fuels psi and ht leads performance. So the things that i can do till then:

* Remove carb, dismantle it and clean it thoroughly
* Replace spark plugs with the old ones (kept them just in case, lol damn me)
* Check somehow what  Ash-Lee said above about the leads
* Replace Dizzy cap and the inside rotor thingy

** Paint car blue and throw it to the ocean.   :cry: :twisted:

I just hate messing with the spark plugs cause i read so many terrifying stories in here about threaded holes  after removing one!!!