Author Topic: Head gasket help  (Read 2549 times)

Brettbewey

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
Head gasket help
« on: 19:03, Sat 01 October 2011 »
I Hi all right ivenow removed my head gasket bloody hello a job  :lol: I'm going to now clean everything thing and replace allthe rusty clips and bolts cause there in a state after 6 years of no driving. Is there any way to check the turbo in situ? How do I remove the the base the UK arm and cap sit on andis there anything I need to note down for timing if I remove? And what does the ex and in mean on the below
Valve Open Valve to Adjust No 8 ex No 1 Ex No 6 in No 3 in No 4 ex No 5 ex No 7 in No 2 in No 1 ex No 8 ex No 3 in No 6 in No 5 ex No 4 ex No 2 in No 7 in and how do I do this?

Thanks

Brettbewey

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
Re: Head gasket help
« Reply #1 on: 20:18, Sat 01 October 2011 »
Oops I meant how do I remove the base the distributor cap fixes onto. And plus the stuff above

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21:16, Sat 01 October 2011 »
Getting to the head gasket is easy :-D

in and ex refer to inlet and exhaust valves. Once you have it all back together, when the haynes states valve to open, that means turn the crank untill the valve spring is fully compressed - that valve will now be open, then adjust the corresponding rocker arm to the correct clearance!!

andybond

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21:31, Sat 01 October 2011 »
Quote from: "Brettbewey"
Oops I meant how do I remove the base the distributor cap fixes onto. And plus the stuff above

There is a single bolt that holds it in. But for the love of Renault , If you dont know what you are doing dont take it apart. It can be a bitch to try and explain how to retime it.

Where are you in the UK. If you are anywhere within 30mi of me , Ill pop over and help.

Brettbewey

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22:26, Sat 01 October 2011 »
Thanks for the reply I live in guernsey so more than 30miles away  :( ifollowed the instructions on here the only bit I got stuck on was the 2 bolts on the turbo elbow I could not see for love nor money how the turbo comes off with the head?

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22:37, Sat 01 October 2011 »
It was probably referring to the 2 bolts that hold the turbo elbow onto the exhaust downpipe.

I usually remove the turbo elbow from the turbo itself, basically because they were the nuts that were the least stubborn to remove!  :lol:

Brettbewey

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19:09, Sun 02 October 2011 »
Started cleaning the water pump and head etc up. The inlets blown both core plugs so going to get 2 new ones. Then the fun starts, trying to remember where it all goes, what's the Haynes like for these?