Author Topic: Inlet manifold help  (Read 4762 times)

Brettbewey

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
Inlet manifold help
« on: 19:43, Sat 24 September 2011 »
Hi all I'm in the process of sorting out my 5 I need to know lots of things. Firstly can I bypass the heater matrix and go direct from expansion tank to swirl pot. And secondly I tried Bleeding the water system today and once I lifted the expansion tank up and blew in it all the water poured out of the inlet manifold on the left hand side near the swirl pot. So what goes in that hole or does the plug just fix over the end? Please help imstuck. And does the inlet manifold need to come off to fix it or is there any easy fix? Thanks guys  :D

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: Inlet manifold help
« Reply #1 on: 20:03, Sat 24 September 2011 »
Is the core plug missing or leaking? My inlet is the exact same, its missing the plug, but on the passenger side. . I have bypassed the carb & inlet manifold completley - runs fine except in winter with horrible carb freeze!

Replacement core plugs can be bought from gtturbo-spares (mike) for cheap cheap  :D

Brettbewey

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20:19, Sat 24 September 2011 »
Hi Lee, sorry cheers for the reply not sure if it's missing I'm guessing it is as can put my finger in the hole  :shock: so I'm guessing the plug should go over that hole? How do you bypass it? Or how do you fit new plugs does the manifold need to come off

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20:45, Sat 24 September 2011 »
There should be enough room to fit a new plug without removal. My coolant pipes go from water pump straight to turbo missing out carb & inlet.    :D

Brettbewey

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20:51, Sat 24 September 2011 »
Is there a diagram on here to show how to do the? And do the caps just clip on or do they need pressing on? Sorry for all the questions  :D

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21:43, Sat 24 September 2011 »
Not sure how the plug goes in tbh, I have not tried yet.

Maybe someone can post a pic of their coolant piperun with carb & inlet bypassed, im working late tonight but can take some pics  tomorow if you need

Brettbewey

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22:05, Sat 24 September 2011 »
OK thanks for that, that would be helpful

Brettbewey

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13:18, Sun 25 September 2011 »
I've had another look and the caps of coroded thru both sides. I have removed the carb and all but one nut off the inlet as I can't get the bloody thing off

Brettbewey

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19:36, Sun 25 September 2011 »
Undone 6 nuts on the top of the inlet manifold, but it's still fixed tight are there nuts underneath too? And if so how the heck do you get to them? I'm really stuck

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21:46, Sun 25 September 2011 »
There might be another 2 nuts underneath.

Removing the manifolds with the cylinder head in place is a nightmare, but it is possible. You might have more luck getting at them from underneath the car.

Brettbewey

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22:16, Sun 25 September 2011 »
Looking at the diy section on replacement of the head gasket I can see in the picture the bottom nuts. So would I be better off removing the cylinder head aswell and taking it off in one? The answer is cars only done 34000 miles but has not moved in 6 years. So it may be worth checking out the head gasket, what do you think? And if it's going to be easier then good cause my hands are battered from fighting with the inlet  :lol:

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23:00, Sun 25 September 2011 »
Does the head/inlet really need to come off??

Im sure you could fit a new core plug on with everything still attatched....

Brettbewey

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17:14, Mon 26 September 2011 »
That's what I need to know  :D