Author Topic: -4.8 camber angle with Apex Sport!!!  (Read 4568 times)

s3irios

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
-4.8 camber angle with Apex Sport!!!
« on: 16:30, Mon 29 August 2011 »
Well as the title says, today i bought new apex sport with 3,5cm lowering springs.
Immediately we saw dbig difference in the holes of the shock. THey were totally different from the old one. We knew we would have some negative (good) camber change. When we measured it, it was -4.8 to BOTH wheels, meaning it's not from a previous crash or hit of the car, that in some way affected the camber numbers. We triple checked the part number of the shocks and they were ok. For r5gt 87'-90' . Mine is 89'

So we began the process of drilling the holes bigger and oval in order to repair the camber a bit, we managed to bring it to -3.8 ! But still as of some of u know it's still a LOT!

I visited another garage afterwards and after a brief talk with the "headmaster" there, we conluded that tomorrow he is going to make some custom smaller in thickness screws, in order to be able to reach the camber at -2 or -2,5 at the worst case scenario.

My questions is (with total respect to the forum and the people reading this post)

W T F ?

meaning, how a right set of shocks from a known company like apex and a car with no problems affecting the camber can result to a MASSIVE negative camber?
Plz enlighten me if you have any info on that.

PS : I welcome all the laughing and facepalms as i kinda want to take this matter from the "funny side".

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: -4.8 camber angle with Apex Sport!!!
« Reply #1 on: 17:51, Mon 29 August 2011 »
What phase is your car and what phase car are the suspension units for? Phase 1 and 2 strut mounts are different so will affect the canmber.

Are you deffinately sure they are for gt turbo too, campus shocks have different mounting angles too and will alter camber. If you had to drill the holes bigger then i'm guessing wrong shocks.
BD Autosport - Renault 5 gt turbo tuning and repairs.

s3irios

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20:40, Mon 29 August 2011 »
My car must be  phase 2 as it is a 89' model and the shocks are for this model, but im not sure about the strut mounts, since i'm not the first owner of the car and the previous was a bit on the "dumb" side. Meaning putting everything he can find in order to repair a problem.
So it might be wearing phase 1 mounts... But how can i tell for sure? Anyone has a photo of the phase 2 mounts?
I was more afraid the car might have phase 1 of these on the photo below (don't have a clue how theyre called in english) :
Is there any difference in those among phase 1 and phase 2?

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20:47, Mon 29 August 2011 »
There is no difference in the gt hubs between phase 1 and 2, do you have a picture of the shocks and the top mounts you are using?

s3irios

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20:54, Mon 29 August 2011 »
Fiirst of all thanks for your help m8.
No, umfortunately don't have any photos, but i don't think the top mounts could give such a difference, it's massive! -4,8!
I don't understand what else could affect it so much.
As i said in the first post, the 2 holes on the shocks where the hubs bolt on, were different. In the old black shocks they were on a straight vertical line, on the new ones they're in a way that actually make these camber readings.

I even saw the shocks on a foreighn site and they were the same as the ones i bought today....

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20:58, Mon 29 August 2011 »
I now know the problem, sounds like you had phase 1 suspension fitted to your car and you now have the phase 2 shocks. Phase 1 shock bolt mounts are straight, phase 2 are angled

Way round this is either buy new shocks for phase one or fit phase 2 top mounts.

s3irios

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21:10, Mon 29 August 2011 »
SO the problem is the top mounts after all! Will they be a straight fit though?

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21:26, Mon 29 August 2011 »
Well the problem is you had wrong shocks originally for the year of car but now you got right shocks you need correct top mounts too. Yes they will be straight swap mate.

s3irios

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10:38, Tue 30 August 2011 »
Mate i owe you a beer!
 I haven't put them on yet, i was asking all morning all over the city, apparently they're extinct here, but i may have managed to find a new pair of top mounts for the phase 2 and will see them tomorrow, fingers crossed they're the right ones!

s3irios

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15:25, Thu 22 September 2011 »
O.K. very quick question. I found the phase 2  top mounts, but i got them without rubbers or bearings. The guy that gave them to me said that the rubbers and bearings are same with the phase 1s top mounts.

Is this true or i'm going to get them out tomorrow just to find out theyre not?

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16:32, Thu 22 September 2011 »
Phase 1 and 2 use the same rubber donut and bearings  :wink:

s3irios

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17:11, Thu 22 September 2011 »
woohoo! At last will have -1 neg and not -2.2, listening to every right corner the right shaft banging  :shock:

Ty again mate, that's 2 beers i owe you, i keep count  :mrgreen: