Author Topic: thoughts on adjustable timing  (Read 2851 times)

bazr5gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
thoughts on adjustable timing
« on: 01:47, Wed 21 September 2011 »
was needing some advice on this area folks,was wondering if anyone uses the adjustable timing sensor on there cars? i am planning on running 20+ psi ,i am running one of those sensors that cgb used to sell ,which had an advance already,just wondering if fitting a fully adjustable would be an advantage? dont want the old det to rear its ugly head ,cheers  :D

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: thoughts on adjustable timing
« Reply #1 on: 07:41, Wed 21 September 2011 »
Advancing the ignition can only end in tears IMO. Especially at 20PSI+.

How is the CGB sensor advanced? It might just have the wires switched, something which can be done with any TDC sensor.

James5

• Test
  • Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08:07, Wed 21 September 2011 »
Easiest way to have an adjsustable TDC sensor for advance or retard is to put the tdc in a vice and and hit the metal bar until it moves it will then slide back and forth. And there you have an adjustable TDC sensor :D

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16:58, Wed 21 September 2011 »
Only adjust the timing sensor if you need to, at that sort of boost you can leave it standard or if are hearing abit of det retard it slightly. If your having to retard it alot then you have problems elsewhere.
BD Autosport - Renault 5 gt turbo tuning and repairs.

bazr5gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 00:54, Thu 22 September 2011 »
yes ash the wires are swapped  checked with my pals one ,i bought it a couple of years ago from cgb they dont sell them anymore ,so you reckon if im running 20 + ,keep it standard if its not pinking ,but if it is retard it not advance ????? cheers james think i will make mines fully adjustable now  :lol: you should have that description on the diy section :lol:  cheers guys !!!!!

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08:03, Thu 22 September 2011 »
I run 20PSI with the TDC sensor in it's original position. Works for me.

But then I also use 99RON and there's a fridge sized intercooler wedged into the front of the car.

bazr5gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16:38, Thu 22 September 2011 »
excellent ash ,well im about to fit my t28 and carb and get the boost up now the engine has been run in ,so was just needing advice on the timing sensor,before i went and melted my head gasket in 10 miutes  :lol: ,im will give it ago and see if she pinks or not,i have always run my 5 on 99 ron,bbpt stipulted it with that spec of engine,only thing im not running is a fmic,just a pace alloy job see how it gets on,thanks for the advice ash  8)  8)