Author Topic: New bloke old 5  (Read 8494 times)

cosmicrayturbo

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
New bloke old 5
« on: 20:40, Sat 17 September 2011 »
Hello all

I have decided that I'm going to fit out my garage this winter and start on my phase 2 5 GTT next summer. I bought it when I was in my very early 20's and crashed into a roundabout less than 2 years later. Out of that 2 years I only had it running for about 12 months as everything went wrong with it. Clutch, gearbox, turbo, heatsheild, brake discs, 3 starter motors, lots of front tyres and probably some other stuff kept it off the road until it's crash. I'm 36 now and have a family which inclines me to spend more time in the garage, cellar and unfortunately work.

I will start a new thread detailing the strip down and rebuild next year but I do have 1 question that I thought you all might be able to help me with. It's been bugging me for years and I figured you would be the chaps to help me with it. My 5 is painted in a pearlescent white, which seems to be all over the car not just on the parts you can see from the curb. Is this original or a factory option or an after purchase dealer option or what?

Please help as if it is factory I will keep it but if I can return it back to white I would rather that.
If you know of any links to sites that have any info on the pearly ones, pm please.

bazr5gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: New bloke old 5
« Reply #1 on: 21:04, Sat 17 September 2011 »
they did mate pearly whites ,upload some pics mate so we can have a look  :D

cosmicrayturbo

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21:15, Sat 17 September 2011 »
The Mrs said she will take some photos on Monday and upload them for me so I can swear and scream at the computer until it let's me post them.

There's no electric in the garage so I will have to hook up many extension leads and badly wired light bulbs. Should I take photos of specific areas, door jams and under bonnet etc?
If you know of any links to sites that have any info on the pearly ones, pm please.

bazr5gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03:32, Sun 18 September 2011 »
just open a photobucket account its free and then copy and paste the iml code i think its called on here to show your photos

no bud just take a few of your car mate .sounds like an original pearly one to me ,look forward to seeing the pics,just upload them into your cars section ,start up a small photo gallery mate  :D

cosmicrayturbo

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18:34, Sun 18 September 2011 »
Will leave the details to the Mrs but that sounds like a go, photo bucket, got it. :wink:

denty225

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19:13, Sun 18 September 2011 »
Welcome to the site mate. Can't wait to see your progress next year. Are you doing a factory spec restoration or going to add some upgrades as you go? As said, pearl white was a standard colour, can't say I've ever seen one in the metal myself though. What year is yours?

cosmicrayturbo

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19:49, Sun 18 September 2011 »
I want to make the interior and exterior as factory as possible, a slightly bigger exhaust on the outside and an adjustable boost knob on the interior being the only clues.

Engine and chassis wise, I will go as far as my budget will allow, which will probably be along the lines of reasonably fast road spec. But with the emphasis on elbow grease and having a go rather than spending money.

Well I say that now with all good intentions I haven't even started the garage yet. Starting on the roof in 2 weeks time and getting it water proof is the first step.

It's a phase 2 E reg 1988 I'm hoping it's not an original pearly as I was never that keen on it. But I do want to go down the original aesthetics route.

I don't know now, not so sure. What do you think?

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20:24, Sun 18 September 2011 »
Phase 1 & 1.5 (crossover) reg had pearl white as standard IIRC :)
Nice in the sun but can look 'dirty' otherwise I find.

cosmicrayturbo

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20:45, Sun 18 September 2011 »
Quote from: "5teve L"
Phase 1 & 1.5 (crossover) reg had pearl white as standard IIRC :)
Nice in the sun but can look 'dirty' otherwise I find.

I never realised there was a phase 1.5 and what does IIRC mean?

I agree with you about the look of the paint though, loosing the will to keep it but I know it would bug me if I got rid of it and went to white. How do you know this, can you tell me if there is a site where I can look this up?

Do you know if there was specific reasoning for this paint or a corporate theme or something?

bazr5gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21:13, Sun 18 September 2011 »
i think the pearlys are quiet rare ,dont think there are many left mate :(

cosmicrayturbo

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21:21, Sun 18 September 2011 »
Quote from: "bazr5gtt"
i think the pearlys are quiet rare ,dont think there are many left mate :(

That's it then, if it's real it's staying regardless.

The other poster piqued my intrest though. Does anyone know much about these models? This is the sort of thing that I'm interested in, a bit of history always floats my boat.
 :(
Good God I'm boring :roll:

bazr5gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21:38, Sun 18 September 2011 »
i dont know much about the pearlys apart from they were quiet limited ,some of the guys on here will know more about them, ive only seen one in my whole life ,very nice colour though ,dont think we have any members on here with one either ,youll have to get the pics up mate  :D  :D  :D  :D

cosmicrayturbo

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21:51, Sun 18 September 2011 »
Will sort some pics tomorrow. Rarity eh? I still remember the advert( and still have it somewhere ) in the local free adds that described it as a champagne colour.

Got to get some more info, that's me and google up for the rest of the night. :D

bazr5gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23:56, Sun 18 September 2011 »
:lol: ace mate ,good to find out about them never really found out much about there satus ,cool let us know how you get on  :wink:

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09:05, Mon 19 September 2011 »
From memory, phase 1.5 is the crossover point from phase 1 to phase 2, I think they went fully colour coded & changed the exterior/interior over, nothing 'special' about them but I don't think you see many in pearl white anymore, I've seen D & E reg ones. Your AEI (coil & vacuum module) will be inside the engine bay above the turbo like phase 1's, the phase 2 went into the scuttle IIRC.
There was a write up somewhere with some history if memory serves me right, I'll see if I can find it, if not James will know.