Author Topic: Out of Fuel  (Read 2828 times)

SCOOBY DREW

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
Out of Fuel
« on: 11:55, Tue 16 August 2011 »
Right....  I am absolutely fuming this morning.

Booked my car in for a new Turbo Elbow with Main Dealer Renault (Probably the biggest mistake I made)  I will cut a long story short

They have just phoned me to tell me that the delivery driver bringing the car back to me has run it out of Fuel......  I am fuming with rage.

What are the possible issues of running a 5 Turbo out of fuel, before I go and kick some Renault Butt!!!!!!

James5

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=34
Re: Out of Fuel
« Reply #1 on: 12:32, Tue 16 August 2011 »
Depends how hard he was driving the car if normal prob no damage, but if he was giving it beans could be some damage.

I would put jerry can of fuel in and then remove the fuel pump relay bridge the red and white wire for say 10sec's this is kinda like an injection way of priming the carb up :D  once done put relay back in and the try to start car.

Crikey must be costing a bit to get Renault to do the turbo elbow out of interest how much they charging?

SCOOBY DREW

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13:45, Tue 16 August 2011 »
Cheers for the advice.

Was going to ask them to do a full service on it as well, to make sure there is not crap in the filters etc etc......

Well I asked a few garages, and they said it was a Pig of a job, so I decided to bite the bullet and get 300.00 out my wallet and get the job done.

DeanGT5

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14:05, Tue 16 August 2011 »
300.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its 6 bolts!!!

Im sure a few will comment on this, so ill keep quiet for now  :roll:

SCOOBY DREW

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14:21, Tue 16 August 2011 »
Do you know, that's what I thought, 3 garages told me that it was a little bit more than that - so I had to take their word for it in the end.....

James5

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=34
« Reply #5 on: 14:33, Tue 16 August 2011 »
Quote from: "SCOOBY DREW"
Do you know, that's what I thought, 3 garages told me that it was a little bit more than that - so I had to take their word for it in the end.....

:lol:  They saw you coming, you could have driven the car to me and I would have done it for you for a few 's.

Never trust a garage they tend to want to bum rape most peeps

denty225

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15:15, Tue 16 August 2011 »
300? There's a lesson learnt then eh. Always ask on here first, you will deffo get honest and truth full advice and possibly an offer of hands on help.

I hope your car is ok, but you need to seriousley kick off. You've spent a lot of money with them and they have not returned your trust at all.

fordy

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18:27, Tue 16 August 2011 »
question is how much fuel did it have before going into renault?

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18:30, Tue 16 August 2011 »
Thats a rediculous price for that job!!  How can they justify that?

Robbing c**nts :evil:

DeanGT5

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19:11, Tue 16 August 2011 »
I would ask about labour and parts cost? surely they cant charge more than an hour?

PhoenixAutosport

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20:08, Tue 16 August 2011 »
it seems that most garages just dont have the experience to work on these cars nowadays, i got a labour quote for removing and re-fitting my gearbox as i need to have it re-built due to an oil leak on the selector, they wanted 850  :shock:  :shock:  just to take it out and put it back in, the rebuild is on top of that,

it would be great if there was some kind of list or directory of people who actualy know what they are doing on these cars and charge an honest rate for their work, i dont mind paying a decent hourly rate so long as the mechanic knows what he is doing and isnt spending 75% of the time scratching his head trying to work out what to do

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20:44, Tue 16 August 2011 »
I'm guessing the bulk of the cost is going to be the new elbow?

I can see why most garages would assume it would be a pig of a job. Showing up with a 20+ yr old car and asking them to remove exhaust fixings, they are going to assume they will probably need to get the blow torch on every single one!

Truth is, a turbo elbow is only an hours work max.  :shock:

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20:54, Tue 16 August 2011 »
I had a similar quote, when I first got my 5 I wanted rid of the paddle clutch. Renault said a minumum of 10 hours labour at 65 + vat..and I had to provide the clutch  :shock:

megaflea

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.megaflea.net
« Reply #13 on: 23:02, Sat 20 August 2011 »
omg i wish my pockets were deep enough to pay someone to do a job i'd consider maintenance

cough cough
root@renault5gtt~]# echo "if you cant fix it" ; init 6 ; echo "it"

fishead

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18:12, Sun 21 August 2011 »
Quote from: "DeanGT5"
300.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its 6 bolts!!!

Im sure a few will comment on this, so ill keep quiet for now  :roll:

not if its std its not

prob book time of 1.5hrs ish they prob added a bit on to allow for any snapped bolts ect, 20 yr old french car ect. prob around maybe 80 ish new o/e for the elbow [a guess] 2 maybe more hrs lab.
when i left main dealer bout 5 6 yr ago was about 75hr +vat